Garbage Disposal Trucks Irk City Residents

Cambridge License Commission Warns Company's Drivers of Noise-Code Violations

By Molly Hennessy-fiske

The Cambridge License Commissions talked a lot of "trash" last night.

Noise violations associated with garbage disposal trucks have been a nagging problem for the Commission this year.

And the problem continued to nag when the group met at the Lombardi Municipal Building last night.

Earlier this year, Commission Executive Officer Richard V. Scali held a meeting with many of the city's disposal companies to address several issues of concern, including the repeated violation of Cambridge's noise ordinance--requiring pick-up after 7 a.m.--by garbage truck drivers.

But Cambridge Police Officer Joseph Castagno said yesterday that many drivers still routinely and deliberately violate the ordinance.

"I try to talk to the drivers, but they all say the same thing: 'We're just doing our job,"' he said.

Several complaints were filed against B.F.I., one local disposal company, earlier this year.

The firm was brought before the Commission last night to determine whether it should be fined $300 per day, per violation or alternatively have operations in the city cease altogether.

While B.F.I. was not invited to the earlier meeting with Scali, Costagno insisted that he warned B.F.I. drivers repeatedly that violating the ordinance carries a penalty of up to $300, but that they refused to comply anyway.

"On any given night, if you go out into the city they'll be there violating [the ordinance]," Castagno said.

In his statement to the Commission, Castagno suggested arrest as a possible deterrent for drivers who continue to violate the law.

Although Commission Chair Benjamin C. Barnes endorsed arrest as a final solution, he emphasized that drivers should be warned in advance if they are in violation.

"The officer has shown a lot of discretion in simply warning [the drivers]," Barnes said, "But arrest is definitely an option."

But Commission member Henry W. Breen urged officers to bring violations to the Commission, rather than diverting them by way of arrest to the courts.

"[Violators] would be more likely to get a $300 fine here than in the courts," Breen said. "[In the courts] the fine would probably be about $10."

B.F.I. District Manager Phillip Mullen said most drivers are aware of the residential areas governed by the ordinance, and that company management is doing all it can to discourage employees from breaking the law.

"[Drivers] know where they can and cannot be," Mullen said. "We have monthly safety meetings and at the last meeting in January, I told them flat out: if you continue to [violate the ordinance] you will be suspended," he said. The Commission voted to take the matter under advisement, and commended Castagno for his efforts to warn drivers rather than charge them with violations immediately.

But Commission members emphasized that it is imperative that drivers cease violating the ordinance before the onset of summer, when residents keep their windows open more often.

Late Night at the Faculty Club

In other business, the Harvard Faculty Club applied for, and was granted, an extension for service to 1:30 a.m. on April 11 in order to host a black-tie function for students at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.

Commission members were hesitant to grant the club's request due to recent complaints from Prescott Street residents regarding excessive noise generated by club functions.

However, Jeri Belafka, who manages special functions at the club assured the Commission that music and other activities would be held at reasonable noise levels and would be confined to the first floor and basement areas of the club.

After several questions from Barnes regarding party activities and anticipated noise levels, the Commission granted the club's request

Late Night at the Faculty Club