Panel Urges Women to Seek Office

By Carlos A. Monje jr.

Women were strongly encouraged to seek political office and given advice about how to get elected at a panel discussion last night held in the ARCO Forum and led by Executive Dean of the Kennedy School of Government Sheila Burke.

Approximately 70 people, most of whom were women, attended the forum, entitled "Getting Elected: What Women Need to Know."

Panelists said that the lack of role models, financial backing and political experience have continuously discouraged women from running for office.

"My message is, just do it," said Arnie Arnesen, an IOP fellow and the first women to run as a big party gubernatorial candidate in New Hampshire. "Women politicians breed women politicians."

But most of the panelists acknowledged that running for office is not something that all women feel they have the opportunity to do.

"Women hesitate because running takes too much time, too much money," said Cathy Allen, president of Campaign Connection.

According to the panelists, last night's forum was a preliminary step in encouraging and aiding women candidates.

"Just the fact that we're having this discussion is a step in the right direction," Arnesen said. "Fifteen years ago, no one was telling us about this."

The panelists outlined the first steps crucial to seeking a political career and explained the resources available to help women.

"Women need to learn how to raise money, how to get contacts and how to get noticed," Allen said.

"You need to find an issue of expertise--offer something to the electorate," said Mary Beth Cahill, executive director of EMILY's List, the largest pro-choice candidates fund in the nation.

Cahill also cited different organizations that are available to finance and jump start women's campaigns including the Women's Political Caucus, the Women's Campaign Fund and EMILY's List.

The speakers emphasized the importance of beginning political careers early in order to get the body of experience necessary to be successful.

"We need women to run earlier," Cahill said. "Someone who has run before and served before makes a better candidate later on."

"We need to run at 31, not 51," Arnesen added.

The forum also focused on other issues such as campaign finance and the role that family plays in a woman's campaign.

Reaction from the audience was generally positive.

"It is important to get other women's experience and have inspiring, intelligent and spunky women role models in the political field," said Tamar P. Shay '93