Advocate Trustees Pay Off Debt

By Jal D. Mehta

The Board of Trustees of the Harvard Advocate has paid an estimated $10,000 to fix major heating and plumbing problems in the magazine's building, but says it is unwilling to pay the additional $40,000 for larger structural repairs until it negotiates the building's lease, which expired last year.

In addition, the board has paid off a $10,000 debt the magazine has accumulated over a five-year period to its publishing company.

Although the Advocate built and owns its building, its land is owned by Harvard Planning and Real Estate (HPRE). The publication had a 25-year lease, which was renewed as part of the original agreement in 1981 and ran out last year.

The issue that may be the sticking point for the deal is the length of agreement, according to Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, who is acting as a facilitator between the magazine and HRPE.

Students at the Advocate said their board is seeking a 50-year lease, while the real-estate company is said to want a much shorter lease, possibly only five years.

"Our mission is to support the academic mission of the University," said Scott Levitan, vice president for construction and commercial and university operations. "We see it as our responsibility to manage the properties in such a way that they can be transferred to an academic use if the need arises."

All sides emphasized their willing- ness to work together so that the Advocate can remain in its two-story home on South Street.

"There is no immediate threat [of departure]," said Epps. "You are not dealing with two strangers negotiating but with old friends. I hope and expect it to be resolved."

When reached at his home yesterday, Levitan agreed.

"There are many alumni who have a long-standing agreement," he said. "We want to negotiate an agreement that works for both of us."

Levitan said he has had one meeting with Advocate Board of Trustees President Douglas A. McIntyre '77 and has made the magazine "an active priority" in order to have an agreement signed soon.

McIntyre could not be reached for comment yesterday.

In further attempt to balance their budget, the Advocate Executive Board decided to do their part in solving the group's budget problem.

In a meeting last Sunday, the board voted to make it mandatory for members to either pay the group's $25 fee or sell an advertisement or two subscriptions each semester.

If a student does not fulfill the requirement by the end of the semester, he or she would have to recomp the Advocate in order to remain a member.

According to Advocate President Daley C. Haggar '97, the move was part of a cooperative effort between graduates and undergraduates to erase the group's debt.

"[McIntyre] came to visit, looked at the building and said he was willing to help. But if we weren't doing our part, he wouldn't do his," said Haggar, who is a Crimson editor.

The magazine hopes to raise $2,500 per year from the dues, said Publisher Charles C. Savage '98. Haggar noted that financially needy students can apply for exemptions to the fee.

The cost of printing four issues of the magazine each year is $10,000, Haggar said, in addition to the $750 circulation cost