SILENT PROTEST

A summary of views, commentary and sometimes comedy compiled by The Harvard Crimson editorial staff.

By Noah Oppenheim

It seems that students at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst are a bit temporally confused. Believing it to be the year 1967, a group of over 100 students are currently engaged in a sit-in. Unfortunately, there is no unjust war to decry, and these passionate activists are acting in vain. They have proclaimed their goal to be to "stop the discrimination at this University of students of color as well as poor and working people." It is entirely unclear how such discrimination manifests itself (but that seems to be a technicality).

The empowered sponsor of the sit-in is ALANA, a student organization whose name stands for African Americans, Latin Americans, Asian Americans and Native Americans, but does not express any mission. We at Dartboard searched for information about this puzzling group and their current protest on the World Wide Web.

We found the "Takeover Homepage," available to answer all of your protest-related questions. Two red fists rise out of the top of the page in bold resistance to the diabolical establishment. Below the fists are links to various statements of purpose all of which proclaim the battle against some pervasive discrimination. Dartboard encourages you to please visit and bookmark this page. The Lampoon, a semi-secret Bow Street social organization which occasionally used to publish a so-called humor magazine, hasn't produced any-thing as entertaining in years.

We think that each and every Harvard student should be ashamed. Here we are, going about our normal business while a raging social struggle exists right next door. When asked whether they think their demands will be met, ALANA responds, "Yes, we will not rest until they are."

When asked what exactly those demands are, it seems ALANA does not know. Harvard students should adopt the same spirit. Dartboard would like to propose a sit-in here at Harvard. Let's do our part in the fight against The Man. Protests are fun.