Students Gather for 'Jesus Jam'

Poetry, Prayer Begin Black Student's Christian Conference

By Martin G. Hickey

Students from colleges across the Northeast gathered in Sever Hall last night to kick-off Jesus Jam, a celebration of poetry and prayer designed to address the issues faced by black Christian college students.

Approximately 35 students attended the event, which kicked-off the two day long Black Student's Christian Conference.

"We plan to address issues within the black community, for example relations between black men and women," said William K. Moss '99, who emceed yesterday's event.

"But we are also going to address issues that deal with people outside of the black community," he added.

Tomorrow's schedule includes a Bible study in the morning, as well as afternoon workshops designed to provide a forum for students to discuss important daily issues.

Rev. Dr. Sherry Turner of Atlanta will preside over the closing worship. The conference will end Saturday night after participants attend a Kuumba concert.

Moss said that the goal of the conference is to strengthen communication between groups on various campuses.

"We want to set up a network across the different universities," said Moss. "It is good to have friends so you can fellowship together."

While many students from Harvard looked forward to meeting Christians from other schools in order to share their experiences and offer support, some Harvard students focused on finding fellow Christians on their own campus.

"I'm a Christian, and I don't know many black Christians on campus," said O. Denise Martinez '99. "It is important for me to understand the issues that concern them."

Sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Christian Fellowship (HRCF) and the African-American Campus Ministry Coalition, the conference is being hosted by Harvard for the first time. Last year it was held at Brandeis University.

About 50 students are expected from 15 different colleges, including as far south as New Jersey and are being housed by volunteers from the HRCF.

Moss said that he was excited to attend the event because of his experience at last year's conference.

"Last year, I felt conflicted about my own life," Moss said. "But I rededicated myself to Christ, and it means a lot to me because I feel at home as a black student, as a black Christian student."