Dean Lewis Turns 50

By Geoffrey C. Upton

Despite the driving rain and cold sea breeze, 95 people turned out last night at the Harvard Club of Boston for the 50th birthday bash of Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

The guest list included Harvard deans and officials, alumni members of the Harvard Club and friends and associates from the Roxbury Latin School, where Lewis graduated and now serves as a board member.

The party began at 6:30 p.m. with cocktails, music by the Harvard Band and a slide show featuring photos of Lewis and his wife, Director of Admissions Marlyn McGrath-Lewis '70 in their college years.

Celebrants moved into the Club's second-floor Massachusetts Room, overlooking Commonwealth Avenue, for a sit-down dinner.

Around 8:30 p.m., Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles began a series of toasts to the Dean, which were followed by a birthday cake and a perfor- mance by the Krokodiloes.

"It's very festive," commented a friend of the Dean's, who said she'd "be shot" if she gave her name. "It's a great turnout."

Just outside the Massachusetts Room, guests had the chance to sign a caricature of Lewis, pictured as a bust in jacket and tie atop a short pedestal.

In addition to Knowles, attendees included Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III; Associate Dean for Human Resources and the House System Thomas A. Dingman '69; Director of University Health Services David S. Rosenthal '59; Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs James H. Rowe III '73; Bureau of Study Counsel Director Charles P. Ducey; and University Attorney Allan A. Ryan Jr