Spartacists Demand Release of 'Anti-Klan 3'

Students Picket to Publicize Upcoming Assault and Battery Trial of Chicago Protesters

By Angela C. Walch

Chanting "Down with bogus charges! Drop the charges now," the Spartacus Youth Club (SYC) sponsored a rally yesterday to voice support for the "Chicago Anti-Klan Three."

More than 10 people picketed in front of the Science Center in an effort to publicize the upcoming trial of three men charged with assault and battery during a Chicago anti-Ku Klux Klan demonstration in June 1996.

A violent clash between Klan and anti-Klan protesters broke out on June 29, 1996 at Chicago's Daley Plaza, prompting police intervention, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Five anti-Klan protesters were arrested, and three of them--Gene Herson, Jeff Lyons and Dennis Glass, who are also known as the "Anti-Klan Three"--will stand trial May 5, according to the SYC.

Tom Daley, a speaker at the protest, said this means that "the Klan is on the rise in this country." He termed the Chicago incident an example of "racist cop terror," and called for the police to drop all charges against the three men.

"We're trying to get around word about the case. We're standing up against racist terror," said Leticia Castillo, member of the SYC.

The call to drop the charges against these men has been endorsed by both DuBois Professor of the Humanities Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Professor of Afro-American Studies and of the Philosophy of Religion Cornel R. West '74, according to Daley.

The Harvard College Democrats, and the Harvard-Radcliffe Black Stu- dents Association have also endorsed dropping the charges. However, all of the above endorsers do not necessarily support other SYC issues, according to Daley.

Daley said the group is trying to get broad support for its cause. "We want to present a united front, to pull all diverse forces together to work against racism," he said.

Daley said the microphone was open to other groups endorsing the protest to voice their views, though no representatives from such groups appeared.

Protest speakers also addressed other SYC issues during the rally, condemning capitalism, the Harvard administration, and both the Democratic and Republican parties for contributing to "racist terror."

Some passers-by stopped to participate in the protest.

"I think [the charges] are completely outrageous," said Catherine Jabar, a Lesley College student. "You can't get too comfortable--your rights can be taken away."

The SYC plans to hold another rally for the "Anti-Klan Three" on April 30 at Boston University, in anticipation of the May 5 trial date