Threat Of Cults Debated

By Barbara E. Martinez

Arguing over the threat that cults pose to contemporary society, three experts at the ARCO Forum last night brought their differing perspectives to a discussion of the line between churches and craziness.

The panel, which spoke before an audience of about 140, included a professor of religion, a journalist and a former cult victim counselor.

Panelist Eugene Gallagher, a professor of religious studies at the University of Connecticut, claimed that the panel designed to "gain a better understanding of cults," missed the mark.

"I think [the discussion] was dominated by emotion rather than analysis," Gallagher said. "It was designed to instill fear."

Panelist Cynthia Kisser, president of the former Cult Awareness Network (CAN)--a group designed to advise relatives and friends of cult members--advocated action to prevent the proliferation of cults in the United States.

"People have their human rights violated every day under the influence of cults," Kisser said. "These actions are justified under the popular slogan 'One man's cult is another man's religion.' We need to teach our young people how to avoid being attracted into a cult."

But Gallagher, who said he tried to "represent the academic study of religion," said he deplored the condemnation of cults without a knowledge of their history and ideology.

"There is an inner logic to these sects and groups, we ignore it at the peril of our society," Gallagher said.

The panelists also differed over how society should respond to cults and whether they are a greater threat now than in the past.

Panelist Peter Klebnikov, who covered the Heaven's Gate incident for Newsweek magazine, identified technology as a catalyst in the changing nature of American cults.

"Technology has transformed the way cults operate," Klebnikov said. "They recruit through the Internet and the telephone....doing things together and crossing lines as they never have before," he said.

But Klebnikov went on to criticize the hype surrounding cults.

"Our society bears some responsibility in the proliferation of these doomsday cults....People are making a lot of money off fear," he said.

Kisser agreed, but noted that more than an academic objectivity is needed to tackle the problem.

"If the viewpoint I am putting forward is viewed as religious bigotry or mass hysteria, then it is no wonder why cults flourish," Kisser said.

The Church of Scientology had objected to Kisser's presence long before the panel, claiming that she lacked any expertise on the issue.

"Her personal opinions are that only, and not reflected in the studies of respected scholars of new religious groups," wrote Nancy O'Meara, corporate treasurer of the new Cult Awareness Network, a Scientology organization, in a letter dated April 25 and addressed to the IOP.

But after the forum, church members expressed approval of the discussion.

"I was surprised at how logical it was," said Annette Ross, director of Special Affairs of the Church of Scientology in Boston. "I was pleased there was someone here like Dr. Gallagher who presented an analytical viewpoint."

Gallagher said, regardless of what society's perception of cults is, they will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

"A long-term view shows a rhythm in religion," Gallagher said. "A religious economy always leads to the formation of religious cults. In a way, trying to stop cults is like trying to stop the weather.