College to Provide Limited Housing For Early Arrivals

In the fall, the College will provide early housing to two representatives from every student organization and to entire student groups rehearsing or performing during Freshman Week.

Thomas A. Dingman '67, associate dean of the College, told the Undergraduate Council last night that the compromise is designed to help students who must arrive early to table at the first-year activities fair.

The students will be housed in Pforzheimer, Cabot, Currier and Mather houses and Claverly Hall. Students will not be allowed to move into their regular houses until Sept. 10, two days before upperclass student registration.

According to Dingman, the decision to open the houses in the middle of Freshman week will not be changed for next fall, but is not necessarily permanent.

"What you should know is that this was not my policy, and it was not one arrived at unilaterally by University Hall," Dingman said. "We will review this policy in the fall to see if this is where we want to be."

The move-in policy had originally been changed at the request of house masters who requested more time to train tutors and less time for students to stay at school with nothing to do, Dingman said.

"They felt there was more vandalism in the building, more disorderly conduct," Dingman said.

The policy is designed to help tutors and masters adjust. But council members raised concerns that it may cause transportation problems for students who need to arrive early in thefall.

Some students have already purchased non-refundable plane tickets for the fall. Others may have trouble scheduling arrival between the house opening date, Sept. 10 and upperclass student registration on Sept. 12, a Friday.

"For parents who count on driving their kids up, to ask them to take off work is a hardship, something we should avoid," Dingman said.

In recognition of these problems, Dingman told the council that the administration would "do its absolute best to accommodate" student needs.

Dingman encouraged students with special circumstances to express their concerns in writing before May 21.

In other business, the council spent its last meeting of the year discussing internal reform.

The main legislation would create an impartial moderator to run council meetings in place of the president.

"Politics shouldn't get in the way of having a free and fair debate," said Reform Committee Chair William M. Jay '98.