Arts First Celebrations Draw Crowds

By Murad S. Hussain

Despite occasional rain and overcast skies, participants said Harvard's fifth annual Arts First Weekend was a triumph of creativity and performances.

From Mather House's "Various and Sundry" lunchtime festivities on Thursday to the "Finger Painting Study Break" at Leverett House last night, the Harvard campus was the site of more than 200 activities and performances over the last four days.

The Arts First Parade on Saturday morning was led by Grand Marshall John Lithgow '67 and the perennial children's storybook favorite, Curious George.

A barbecue lunch that afternoon, complete with music provided by the Harvard Sunday Jazz Band, kicked off the Performance Fair, a four-hour extravaganza involving over 60 student performances and workshops at nine locations throughout campus.

Singer Bonnie Raitt '72 received this year's Harvard Arts Medal at a reception on Saturday afternoon hosted by President Neil L. Rudenstine.

Raitt was chosen for the award because she has made a real difference with her music, Rudenstine said in his introductory speech.

"Bonnie has done this with enormous determination, with consistency and a really incredible generosity throughout her career," he said.

Raitt, who is known for her commitment to numerous causes, including nuclear disarmament and protecting the environment, told the awards ceremony crowd, "I just cannot believe that a rock n' rollin', bluessinging, rowdy-mouthed political activist would be standing up here at Harvard University."

Throughout the weekend, students and community residents were able to attend most events free-of-charge.

Friday night performances by the University Choir and the Harvard Baroque Chamber Orchestra of Bach's "B Minor Mass" drew large and appreciative crowds.

Jared Lamenzo '97, director of the Harvard Sunday Jazz Band, also performed with the Harvard-Radcliffe Organ Society in a Saturday afternoon Brahms anniversary recital at Adolphus Busch Hall.

"The crowd was pretty full and receptive. From the sound of it, they really enjoyed themselves," he said.

However, crowded venues did not stop people from having a good time at the numerous activities.

"I was originally going to see 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' in Leverett, but it was sold out, so my friend and I went to an acting improv workshop in Mather House," said Ethan S. Brown '99. "It turned out to be a lot of fun, and I was really glad I happened to end up there. Plus, it was free, and that's not bad."

Lithgow, who helped start Arts First five years ago, said he felt privileged to be able to return to Harvard and see current undergraduates display their talents.

"For me, it's been a day of miracles," Lithgow said on Saturday