Hilles Library Elevator Mishap Traps Student

By George T. Hill

An unidentified male student spent roughly two hours trapped in an elevator at Hilles Library on Saturday evening, according to Hilles librarian Leslie C. MacPherson Artinian.

The student passed his time napping, according to Joseph G. Cleemann '98 and Osvaldo E. Pereira '98, who were working behind the circulation desk that night.

"The student seemed to make the most of his time and didn't seem to be phased at all by the fact that he was trapped in an elevator for two hours," Pereira said. "He didn't have any books with him, so he took a nap.... He really took a nap."

The library employees and a Harvard Engineering and Utilities staff supervisor, Warren L. Milley, said the student was trapped between the first and second floors at approximately 7 or 7:30 p.m.

The student used the elevator phone to call for help, Milley said.

According to library employees, a Harvard technician was unable to release the student and had to call the Payne Elevator Company for help.

A Payne technician freed the student at approximately 9 p.m., and the elevator was back in service by 10 p.m. at the latest, according to library employees.

"I didn't know anything about it until a repairman came running in," Cleemann said. However, the technician was unable to release the student.

"He said that the elevator was stuck in such a way that he couldn't even pry the door open and let the kid out," Cleemann said.

Pereira came to work at the circulation desk at 8 p.m., before the Payne technician arrived. He said he spoke to the Harvard technician, who was already there.

"It was really sort of comic, because the Harvard repairman that was there was dead set on hot-wiring the elevator but was not qualified or licensed to do it," Pereira said.

The Payne technician succeeded in moving the elevator up to the second floor, where the student got out, according to Pereira.

"He seemed to enjoy the time-out. He was all smiles when he came out," Pereira said.

MacPherson Artinian said she had never heard of such an incident before.

"This is the only time I've ever heard of anything like this," she said.

Library officials declined to release the student's name