Shuttles to Run Later, But Not to River

By Michael M. Rosen

The operating committee of the University approved several pieces of an Undergraduate Council proposal calling for significant expansion of the University shuttle service at their meeting this week.

However, the committee, which is composed of administrators from different Harvard schools, put on hold portions of the proposal that requested afternoon buses to the river houses, according to council shuttle task force co-chair Jobe G. Danganan '99.

The proposal, which grew out of recommendations of a committee of council members and other students, contained three sections. One specifically applied to Quad residents, another to Mather and Dunster residents and a third was general, said task force and council member Jonathan J. Finer '98.

The general section called for later shuttle routes at night. It also asked that schedules be posted outside of Lamont Library and on Johnston Gate and asked that shuttle drivers not leave stops until one minute after the scheduled time.

The portions relating to the Quad suggested more direct routing from the Quad to the Science Center and doubling the number of shuttles running during the rush hours of the morning, including 9, 10, and 11 a.m.

The River section requested the addition of a weekday afternoon shuttle as well as a direct route connecting Mather to the Science Center, according to Finer.

The operating committee adopted many portions of the proposal, notably extending weekend shuttle hours until 5 a.m., Danganan said.

Council President Lamelle D. Rawlins '99 said she was "thrilled that we'll have extended weekend service next year. That was an important safety consideration.

But while the operating committee approved many of the task force's recommendations, it did not create a weekday afternoon route to the River houses.

Mather and Dunster dwellers expressed dismay at the decision, citing the difficulties involved in traveling to the River during lunchtime.

"Last semester, I had only half an hour for lunch twice a week and was unable to do anything but brown-bag it," said Matherite Eric R. Tipler '99.

Although River dwellers must continue to trek up to 20 minutes to their dining halls for lunch, Acting Director of Transportation Services Robert Martino emphasized that the decisions made by the operating committee were not final.

"River house residents should realize that the door has been left open" for a weekday afternoon shuttle, Martino said.

The proposal emerged after forums held by Transportation Services in Mather and Hilles Library triggered the formation of a council task force to consider shuttle expansion, according to Martino.

The approximately 30 member task force had approximately 20 noncouncil members, Finer said.

Council members were quick to praise the Transportation Services employees for their work on the subject.

Rawlins said that Martino and others were "incredibly responsive to student concerns and demonstrated willingness to work as a team.