5,969 to Receive Degrees in Today's Ceremony

By Justin D. Lerer

President Neil L. Rudenstine will award 5,969 diplomas during today's 346th Commencement exercises.

The National Weather Service predicts the ceremonies will take place under sunny skies, with high temperatures in the mid-60s this afternoon.

The College will grant 1,560 bachelor degrees to 862 men and 698 women, according to Senior Associate Registrar Thurston A. Smith.

All but 10 undergraduates will receive bachelor of the arts (A.B.) degrees, with the rest receiving bachelor of science (S.B.) degrees.

Of that total, 183 are without honors, 364 cum laude (formerly known as cum laude in general studies), 412 cum laude in a field of concentration, 471 magna cum laude, 55 magna cum laude with highest honors and 75 summa cum laude.

Forty fewer summa cum laude degrees will be awarded this year than last. Smith said the decrease is the result of the Faculty's decision to be more stringent in recommending and granting the College's highest academic honor.

"They both recommended fewer and chose fewer," said Smith.

While Rudenstine will confer degrees upon all of the University's graduates, undergraduates will actually receive their diplomas in the afternoon at ceremonies held at their residential houses.

Arts and Sciences

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will award 267 doctorates of philosophy (Ph.D.), 187 master of the arts (A.M.), 29 master of science (S.M.) and one master of forest science (M.F.S.) degree to its students, according to Lynn Dunham, associate registrar. No master of engineering degrees will be awarded.

Students will receive their diplomas at Sanders Theater.

Medicine

Nineteen master of medical sciences (M.M.Sc.) and 186 doctor of medicine (M.D.) degrees will be awarded at the Medical School (HMS), according to Associate Registrar Lisa A. Oteri.

Of the M.D. degrees, 12 are cum laude and nine magna cum laude. Students will receive their diplomas at a ceremony in the school's Quadrangle.

Business

The Graduate School of Business Administration will award 887 master of business administration (M.B.A.) and four doctor of business administration (D.B.A.) degrees, according to Registrar Coral A. Sullivan.

The afternoon ceremony will take place in front of Aldrich Hall.

Law

The Law School (HLS) will award 696 degrees in three classifications. Graduates will receive 144 master of laws (L.L.M.), five doctor of juridicial science (S.J.D.) and 547 doctor of law (J.D.) degrees, according to Assistant Registrar Cristina Lewis. Diplomas will be distributed in a ceremony at Holmes Field.

Of the J.D. degrees, 128 are without honors, 326 cum laude, 92 magna cum laude and one summa cum laude.

The summa cum laude degree, the first since 1982, will be awarded to Lisa A. Grow. She is also the recipient of the Fay Diploma for having the highest combined average for three years of study in residence at HLS.

Grow, the first woman to win the Fay Diploma, said she hopes to start a tradition.

"I hope there will be a lot more women in the future," she said. "I was surprised there haven't been any in the past."

Education

The Graduate School of Education will award 56 doctor of education (Ed.D.) degrees, 15 certificates of advanced study (C.A.S.) and 566 master of education (Ed.M.) degrees to its graduates, according to Judy A. Reilly, staff assistant in the registrar's office.

The ceremony will take place in Radcliffe Yard.

Government

The John F. Kennedy School of Government will award 482 degrees in five different categories: 239 mid-career master of public administration (M.P.A.), 43 M.P.A., 186 master of public policy (M.P.P.), four master in public policy and urban planning and 10 Ph.D. degrees, according to Susan J. Brown, staff assistant in the office of the registrar.

Students will receive their diplomas at a ceremony in Kennedy Memorial Park.

Divinity

Four types of degrees will be conferred today at the Divinity School: 52 master of divinity (M.Div.), 90 master of theological studies (M.T.S.), 11 master of theology (Th.M.) and eight doctor of theology (Th.D.) degrees, according to Registrar Maria Cedargren.

Diplomas will be granted this afternoon in front of Andover Hall.

Public Health

The School of Public Health will award 293 degrees, including 110 master of science (M.S.), 153 master of public health (M.P.H.), three doctor of public health (D.P.H.), 25 doctor of science (D.S.) and two master of occupational health (M.O.H.) degrees according to Christina De Los Santos, assistant to the registrar.

The ceremony will be held outside the Kresge Building.

Design

The Graduate School of Design will award 200 degrees: 90 master in architecture (M.Arch.), 30 master in landscape architecture (M.L.A.), 25 master of architecture in urban design (M.A.U.D.), one master of landscape architecture in urban design (M.L.A.U.D.), 13 master in urban planning (M.U.P.), 36 master in design studies (M.D.S.) and five doctor of design (D.D.) degrees, according to Registrar Laura S. Snowden.

Students will receive their diplomas at a ceremony behind Gund Hall.

Dental Medicine

The School of Dental Medicine will confer 45 degrees in three categories, conferring 22 doctor of dental medicine (D.M.D.), 14 master of medical sciences in oral biology (M.M.Sc.) and nine doctor of medical sciences in oral biology (D.M.Sc.) degrees, according to Assistant Registrar Melissa A. Dunphy. The school will also award 22 certificates for work in various speciality programs.

Diplomas will be given out at the HMS Quadrangle.

Extension

The University Extension School will award 293 degrees, certificates and diplomas in nine fields.

The Extension School will confer three associate in arts (A.A.), 82 bachelor of liberal arts (A.L.B.) of which 49 will be cum laude and 67 master of liberal arts (A.L.M.) degrees, according to the office of the dean. This ceremony will take place in the Loeb Drama Center.

The school will also grant 109 certificates of special studies (C.S.S.), nine certificates in applied science (C.A.S.), six certificates in public health (C.P.H.), 12 certificates in museum studies (C.M.S.), three certificates in publishing and communication (C.P.C.) and two diplomas in English for graduate and professional study (D.G.P.), according to Assistant Director for Certificate Programs Delia Gerraughty. The ceremony will occur in Lowell Lecture Hall.

--Matthew W. Granade contributed to the reporting of this story.

Business

Law

Education

Government

Divinity

Public Health

Design

Dental Medicine

Extension