Albright Will Discuss Future of American Foreign Policy

By William P. Moynahan

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright will use her speech this afternoon to outline America's role in the world of the 21st century, State Department spokesperson Nicholas Burns told The Crimson yesterday.

"It's a speech to the new generation of students," Burns says. "She will discuss the old and new foreign policy challenges that the United States faces in the coming years."

Albright will draw a contrast between the Marshall era following World War II and the situation in which the United States finds itself today.

"The United States has a unique role as the only remaining superpower," Burns says. "The global threat is not as clear as it was in 1947. The U.S. no longer has a rival capable of world destruction."

Some of the new challenges Albright will mention include the growth of terrorism, the narcotics trade and the world's population, Burns says.

The speech will also revisit old issues in which America has played a role during the last 50 years.

These challenges include formulating a united Europe, expanding democracy around the globe and, a more recent concern, maintaining the peace agreement in Bosnia, Burns says.

Albright will also explain her rationale for supporting the recently announced expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Burns says.

"She believes the era of large powers dictating to small nations is over," Burns says.

Albright will strongly urge her audience to avoid any isolationist instincts and help the U.S. maintain its commitments abroad.

"The United States is the indispensable nation," Burns says. "Secretary Albright believes we can't turn inward and forget the international community."

Albright will also call on Congress to provide the necessary funding in the years ahead.

"Leadership doesn't come cheap," Burns says.