Loker Fights Financial Distress

University Hires Consultant, Shortens Hours in Attempt to Revitalize Commons

By Amber L. Ramage

Shortly after its opening in January of last year, Loker Commons--the campus' much anticipated new student center--drew a cult of students eager for a place to study, socialize and use their newly-created Crimson Cash.

But this year, amid a host of problems, the popularity of the gray-panelled, light-festooned Loker has undeniably waned. As a result, Loker has experienced a reduction of operating hours, a cut back in employees, slightly raised prices and a massive reassessment of services.

Alisha M. Quintana '99 is one of many students who said the novelty of Loker has worn off.

Although Quintana said she made a pilgrimage to the Commons every other night last year, she said that she and her friends rarely visit Loker this year.

"I never come here this year," Quintana said.

Michael P. Spence '99 agreed, saying that Loker has not been as successful as the University had hoped.

"[Loker Commons] is not the booming social center that the Administration thought it would be," said the Dunster House resident.

Complaints About Loker

Since it opened, complaints about Loker's features have ranged from commentaries regarding the dubious usefulness of Loker's two conspicuous LED (light-emitting diode) displays to frustrated exclamations about the hang-out's dearth of computer terminals.

Harvard Dining Services (HDS), which runs Loker, has reportedly lost a great deal of money this year on the increasingly underutilized establishment, which took eight years to plan and cost $25 million to build--$7 million of which was donated to the University by Katharine Bogdanovich Loker, widow of Donald P. Loker '25.

According to Leonard D. Condenzio, acting director of HDS, a great deal of money could be lost if Loker is not revitalized soon.

"If we continue to trend the way we have been trending in September and October, we could stand to lose a substantial amount of money," he said.

When Ted A. Mayer was announced as the new director of HDS in April, he stressed revamping Loker Commons as one of his top priorities.

Although Loker was often crowded during meal times, the stores were losing money during later hours, administrators said.

"People weren't purchasing much food after 7 p.m.," said Project Manager of Dining Services Alexandra McNitt.

The Fast Track to Recovery

In response to the decline in use, HDS and the Administration have taken several steps to revitalize Loker, including the hiring of consultant Kathleen I. Kouril '82, a former Crimson editor and adviser to HRTV, by Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III.

According to Epps, who is overseeing efforts to improve Loker, Kouril was hired this year to "help improve students' satisfaction with Loker."

The Loker Advisory Committee--composed of six student representatives, Epps, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth S. Nathans--has been a driving force in making recommendations for possible changes to Loker.

In further efforts to revamp Loker, the Administration sent a survey to all undergraduates for suggestions, installed a new eatery called Fast Track to replace the former sweet shop and added a 33" TV and couches.

The new Fast Track--one of the implemented changes--offers a combination of the best-selling items of the other three food vendors.

"Fast Track is a good idea," said Rudd W. Coffey '97, who served as a member of the advisory committee. "It is a self-contained unit that allows Loker to run on a skeleton crew."

Fast Track was not the only new feature at Loker. Earlier in the year, Harvard officials replaced the newsstand and vending machines in Loker with a flower shop and book exchange in response to student feedback. However, these offerings were deemed unsuccessful and were relocated by the TV lounge.

As a cost-saving measure, the University also scaled back the hours of Loker Commons restaurants, which, consequently, only remained open until 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and closed even earlier on Friday, at 7 p.m. In addition, none of the eateries stayed open on weekends. The entire Loker complex closed this year at 12:30 a.m., instead of staying open past 1 a.m. as it did last year.

The change in operating hours was particularly upsetting to some students, who last year had called for an extension of hours--not a reduction.

"There aren't many places in Cambridge to get food after 11 p.m.," said Hiromi Maeda, a second-year graduate student. "That's too bad."

Most recently, the Administration acceded to the wishes of students and installed a large-screen TV and couches in Loker--a move first proposed by Coffey last year. Coffey said he believes the TV and couches will help lure students to Loker.

The estimated cost of the TV and couches was anticipated at less than $8,000, according to administrators.

Amid its financial and logistical woes, questions have also been raised about how well Loker meets the campus' need for a student center.

Some students had complained that Loker has functioned more as a study hall than as the active, vibrant student center it promised to be.

"The Administration needs to decide whether or not [Loker Commons] is going to be a social center or a study center," said Aaron D. Rosenberg '99, a Lowell House resident.

But the Administration has had to struggle with finding a common ground for Loker that appeals to the greatest number of students.

"We're trying hard to make Loker Commons a destination, as opposed to just a crossroads," Lewis said earlier this academic year.

HDS said it is working to change Loker's image to accommodate all types of student patrons.

"Loker can be a center for students, faculty, staff and grad students," Condenzio said. "There's room for everyone to be a part of the space down there."

The Long Road

As part of the ongoing campaign to revitalize Loker, administrators sent a 50-question survey to all students Feb. 10 to solicit opinions about possible improvements to the Commons.

"The purpose of the survey is to find out what the majority of students feel about some of the important issues at Loker," Kouril said.

According to Kouril, there was a higher response rate to the survey than expected, with about 9 percent of students' returning their surveys.

In the survey, undergraduates requested the addition of a TV lounge, brand-name fast food, more computer terminals and a pool table in Loker.

The inclusion of a name-brand fast food vendor among the Loker eateries seemed to rank high on the students' list of suggestions, said Catherine D. Rucker '99, chair of the Campus Life Committee of the Undergraduate Council.

"There are two things that people say would draw them to Loker--one is alcohol, and the other is fast food," Rucker said.

Since the Administration decided that the College would not allow a bar to open in Loker, the next best solution appeared to be fast food.

After the survey results were released in early April, Condenzio said that getting fast food in Loker as early as the fall semester of next year was high on his agenda.

However, disapproval from competing businesses in the Square diminished the possibility of Harvard's signing on any of the big-name brands, such as McDonald's and Taco Bell, suggested by students.

"McDonald's poses difficulties because of the Square," Condenzio said in April.

Some students also said in the survey that they wanted healthier food options and later hours for the eateries.

"The survey shows that [students] want [Loker Commons] to be a social space," Kouril said.

Accordingly, Harvard officials have sought to rejuvenate the ailing Loker Commons by introducing more entertainment options.

The events at Loker this spring ranged from Friday Freak Night to performances by the a cappella Opportunes to readings by professors.

"The Memorial Hall complex is working with the Dean of Students office to proactively program events in Loker Commons as a result of a general perception that the space was being underutilized for student activity," said Eric C. Engel, director of the Memorial/Lowell Complex.