Women's Hockey Improves; Rookie Shewchuck Shines

By Karun F. Grossman and Jennifer L. Steffen

1996

Sports Statistics

Record: 10-18, 6-16 ECAC

Ivy Finish: Fifth

Coach: Katey Stone

Key Players: Seniors Christa Calagione and Jenny Duval; Junior Jen Bowdoin: Freshman Tammy Shewchuk

1997

Facing its toughest schedule in school history, the Harvard women's hockey team rose to the occasion. Challenged by its 28-game schedule, the Crimson bettered last year's record by one game, finishing the season with a 10-18 overall record.

The Crimson showed its might in its final five-game stretch, logging victories against St. Lawrence, Dartmouth, Boston College and Yale.

"We played well during the last several games," said senior Jenny Duval. "It was an amazing feeling, like everything was finally coming together. It was just a great feeling."

The sweetness of this final success was felt poignantly by Duval and fellow senior Christa Calagione, who both finished the season and their 102nd career game by scoring against Yale.

By netting her 73rd career point, Calagione earned second team All-Ivy honors and a spot as Harvard's ninth all-time scorer. After switching from forward to defense during her sophomore year, Calagione has used her tall 5'11 frame as well as her smooth, aggressive skating to her advantage. The senior garnered ECAC recognition for her strength on the blueline and her offensive prowess.

The Harvard defense was helped along by the return of captain Colleen Malek, who played in only 10 games last season before suffering from a knee injury. Her 13 assists this year was almost as much as the 15 she collected through her first three seasons.

Additionally, freshman power-house Tammy Shewchuk had a remarkable season, collecting an astounding 53 points and 38 goals in her collegiate debut. This tally set Harvard's single-season record for both points and goals. Shewchuck found the back of the net in 23 of Harvard's 28 contests including five hatricks.

Record-setting numbers were also posted by junior goaltender Jen Bowdoin. In only her second season as a starter, Bowdoin set school records for both single-season saves (836) and saves in a game (53). Dominating as netminder in all 28 contests, Bowdoin played 1,593 out of possible 1,635 season minutes.

However, the Crimson's story was truly one of near-misses.

At the annual Beanpot tournament, which highlights the four major Boston-area powers, the Crimson notched a runner-up spot, falling only to Northeastern.

Likewise, at the All-American Tournament in Minnesota, the team earned a bronze medal by beating Manitoba and Princeton.

Still, these close calls are indicative of a bright future for the Harvard women's hockey team.

Next season, the Crimson will be returning its top three leading scorers, while welcoming back A.J. Mleczko, who took the year off from Harvard in order to train with the U.S. National Team.