University Property Is Recovered by HUPD

Dorchester Man Arrested, Charged With Series of Thefts at Observatory and GSE

By Matthew W. Granade and Elizabeth S. Zuckerman

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) recovered on Wednesday property valued between $20,000 and $30,000, the majority of which was previously reported stolen from the Harvard-Smithsonian Observatory and the Graduate School of Education (GSE).

Brian Dougherty of Neponset Ave., Dorchester, was arrested in connection to the stolen property, which was found in his home. Dougherty has been charged with one count of larceny and police expect further charges as the remainder of the property is identified, HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara said.

The property recovered included portable computers, monitors, software, printers and data storage devices. Reams of paper and books were also among the items.

Dougherty's interview with police also revealed he had filed a report stating that he was the victim of an armed robbery on October 26, 1996. Based on the interview with Dougherty, the incident has been reclassified as a false report and the Cambridge Police Department has been notified, McNamara said.

McNamara said last night she did not have any information on Dougherty's connection to the University.

But in the October police report, the person who told HUPD that he had been a victim of robbery at knife-point was identified as a student at the GSE, according to Crimson archives. The 1996-1997 University Directory also identifies a Brian A. Dougherty as a GSE student.

At about 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Detectives Paul Westlund and Dennis Maloney with the HUPD Criminal Investigations Unit began their probe of Dougherty's Dorchester residence. Dougherty accompanied police back to HUPD's station where he was arrested after an interview.

According to McNamara, police cannot determine how many instances of larceny Dougherty will be charged with until all of the property is identified.

Police initiated their investigation after a series of thefts began several months ago at the Observatory. McNamara would not reveal how Dougherty was identified as a suspect, citing the pending charges. Dougherty could not be reached for comment.CrimsonGeoffrey A. FowlerSGT. RICHARD MADEROS, head of the Criminal Investigations Unit, stands with the recovered property.