New Grille Opens In Square

By John F. Coyle, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The "improvisational grille" Fire and Ice, is open for business and is dishing up impromptu meals at 50 Church Street.

Fire and Ice, called the haven for finicky eaters, offers customers the opportunity to literally hand-pick their food.

Based on the concept of a Mongolian barbecue, Fire and Ice-the brainchild of co-owners John Schall and James Miller-incorporates the idea of "market stations" into its dining environment.

Because Fire and Ice is not a traditional dining experience, the owners decided to open it in Harvard Square, according to general manager Peter Johnson.

"When people think of Harvard Square, they think of something different, something unique," Johnson said. "We knew the concept would have a good reception here."

At the restaurant, patrons go to three different stations where they are presented with multiple choices of meat, vegetables and sauces. The meat station offers the patrons selections ranging from beef to shrimp.

After making any combination the patron wishes from the various meats and vegetables, the customer goes to a table which features a wide range of authentic sauces from countries around the world.

Once diners have prepared their meal, they take it to chefs at a large, round grill and wait as their meal is cooked to their specifications. The meal is accompanied with a salad buffet, tortillas and rice.

The interior of the restaurant-designed by architect Mark Connor and interior designer Susan Greco, both from the architectural firm of Prellwitz-Chillinski-possesses a bright array of colors and lighting.

The restaurant features a bar area decorated with green, aqua and red lamps; booths nestled against windows that are covered by thin neon green curtains; and a huge circular grill in the middle of the dining area.

The true size of Fire and Ice is not immediately apparent from the street, but its 8,000 square feet is capable of seating up to 235 people, including 45 in an outdoor courtyard and 25 at the bar.

Although classes have yet to begin, some Harvard students have already made the time to try to new restaurant.

"I thought that Fire and Ice was a fresh concept, and overall an interesting experience," said Sarah C. Corbett'98.

The name "Fire and Ice" springs not from the famous Robert Frost poem but from the contrast between the heat of the grill-which can reach temperatures of up to 450 degrees Farenheit-and the chilled drinks offered at the bar.

Fire and Ice is open for lunch from 11:30 a.m. until 4 p.m., and for dinner from 4 p.m. until 1 a.m. daily.