W. Volleyball Sets For UNH Attack

* Improved Cat squad could pose threat to Crimson

By Jamal K. Greene, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard women's volleyball team continues its run through its pre-season schedule tonight when it takes on New Hampshire (UNH) at Lundholm Gymnasium in Durham. Harvard (2-2) enters tonight's match fresh off a weekend split at the Brown Invitational.

The Wildcats, traditionally a non-league doormat for the Crimson, may hold some surprises in store this season with the addition of several transfer students, including junior outside hitter Cari Sanders, junior middle hitter Bethany Cole and senior setter Maureen McCarthy.

Cole is from the University of Alabama, Sanders is from Central Connecticut and McCarthy enters her final year of eligibility after a brilliant career at Florida State. The Wildcats also start a young phenom in freshman Jillian Ross.

"UNH has been a weaker team in the past," junior setter Kate Nash said. "We've beaten them the past two years, but we don't know what to expect. They could be really tough or they could be just like last year."

A big reason for the lack of success of the UNH program is its youth--the school has only been playing women's volleyball at the varsity level for two years entering this season. Still, the team is off to its best start since the program's inception and it won a tough five-game match against B.C. last week. The Eagles are the same team that defeated the Crimson in its first match last weekend.

The Crimson will use the match to work out some of its kinks before the Ivy League season gets underway October 3 against Cornell. In last weekend's matches losses to B.C. and Brown, Harvard showed there was room for improvement in its serve-receive and in its defense against opposing attackers.

Although Harvard Coach Jennifer Bates has shown a willingness to experiment with different lineups in preseason matches, Harvard's basic package includes a solid veteran core in senior outside hitter Elissa Hart--who co-captains the team along with Lolita Lopez--junior outside hitter Melissa Forcum and Nash.

Tonight's match against UNH should provide further opportunity for the team's veterans and its younger players to continue to gel into a cohesive unit.

"I don't think we're totally in sync yet, but I don't think we should be," Nash said.

Performing well out-of-league has been one of the team's goals in preseason. Harvard was only 13-14 in non-league matches last season.

"The out-of-league matches strengthen our schedule," Nash said. "If we can beat those teams, it says a lot about Harvard volleyball."