Bravo! Senior Chosen to Sing With Symphony

By Jenny E. Heller, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Boston Symphony Orchestra welcomed one of Harvard's own into its ranks last spring.

Anne H. Charity '98 will sing tonight at 8 p.m. in this season's premier performance of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, a classical chorus for the Orchestra.

In the rarefied atmosphere of the chorus, Charity has the distinction of being one of few students in a group of adults from all walks of life. She is the only student who is not currently studying at a music conservatory.

"I am really excited and totally psyched," Charity said about tonight's performance.

Charity, who spent this past summer in Boston rehearsing with the chorus, said she never expected to be chosen when she auditioned on a whim last spring.

"I was so shocked," she said. "It was not even funny."

Tonight the chorus will present a classical piece written by Leon Kirchner, Rosen professor of music (emeritus). Charity described it as "a look at life in America with a jazz element."

Kirchner attended rehearsals and worked with the singers, writing parts of the score up to the last minute. Charity said she enjoyed the personal contact with the composer.

"After I was accepted, they told me that I had sold my soul," she said. "This is my new life."

Throughout the year, the chorus will perform different programs, each one on several nights. Tonight's performance will be repeated on Saturday and Tuesday at 8 p.m. The direc- tors chose Charity to sing in five out of the six programs this season.

For the Leverett House senior, singing is a passion and an integral part of her life.

Charity admits that she "drives everyone crazy" singing at the top of her voice in the showers and around her dorm. She comes from a long line of performers and music enthusiasts.

One of her uncles was a professional singer and her uncles and father sang in church and for recreation.

At Harvard, Charity has been in the leadership of the Radcliffe Choral Society and participated in performances at Levtened to her grandmother's opera recordings.

Charity is currently working on a Master's Degree in linguistics and music theory.

After graduation, she plans to continue her academic work instead of pursuing a career as a professional singer.

In the immediate future, she hopes to be chosen to sing with the Tanglewood Festival Chorus at the Winter Olympics