Dueling Professors Weigh Black Identity

By Ashley F. Waters, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Debate over the ethics of racial pluralism versus the necessity of strong black identity dominated a heated discussion last night between Professor of Law Randall L. Kennedy and Professor of Afro-American Studies and Philosophy Cornel R. West '74.

The debate, entitled "Our Race Problem-Mine and Yours," drew more than 350 people to the Ames Court Room at the Harvard Law School.

K. Anthony Appiah, professor of Afro-American studies, moderated the debate, which was sponsored by the Black Students Association (BSA).

People continued to pour into the room even as the debate was begun with a question on Kennedy's and West's changing understanding of race.

The discussion focused largely on the issue of identity. Kennedy supported the idea that individuals should be free to choose the groups with which they associate rather than being ascribed them by society.

Kennedy supported ideas of multiracial community, pluralism and affection based upon experience, rather than genetics.

"We are the inheritors of a white supremacy pigmentocracy," he said. "I want to attack what seems natural."

Kennedy said that racial divisions should be avoided in working toward the reduction of racism.

"No group is going to create a better society," he said. "We need allies."

West advocated the mobilization of racial interest groups to combat racism. He also said that the "color-blind idea hides and conceals what we're up against."

West also said that it is impossible for an individual to freely choose their identity and associations, given the influence of history. The "fetishizing of choice" may disempower those who attempt to pick an identity out of historical context, he added.

As the floor was opened to debate, West and Kennedy fielded a variety of questions, most of which were addressed to Kennedy.

BSA President Jason D. Williamson '98 said he was encouraged by the turnout.

"It makes me think people are at least thinking about these things," he said. "There are people in 1997 who don't understand that we're in a state of emergency. The atmosphere at this University and in this country is not one that is favorable for black people.