TechTalk

Keeping Up With New Technology

By Baratunde R. Thurston

Every once in a while I, Mr. Computer Guy, get fed up with the darn things. Forget about dot pitch, 3D rendering, UltraDMA and other wacky acronymns apparently established to create an industry of technical interpretation. Occasionally, the melee of swiftly changing standards and products, with their accompanying problems is too much for a tech fiend to bear. Sometimes, I just want to get work done.

Thus, this column will be devoted to the reasonable, normal folks out there who couldn't give a rat's hooey about the 10 different types of RAM.

When computers were first being developed, they had a definite purpose--primarily military. Some were used in the development of complex arms calculations; others for satellite and radar. But today it seems that beyond speed, the purpose of further computer technology development is vacuous.

Since the microcomputer became relatively affordable, its use in basic word and data processing has remained a constant function. People wrote papers, created databases and spreadsheets in 1985, and they still do today. If you tried to hand in a written paper now, your teacher would probably slap you first, then laugh at you.

The changes in this category of software, dubbed 'productivity suites,'have been rather minor and primarily cosmetic over the past few years.

Now not only does Microsoft Word have the ability to let you know you can't spell a word, but it puts a red squiggly line under it too! Yeah, that's definitely worth the $200 upgrade price of Office97 (more than $400 for the full version). Whatever.

There are only a certain number of ways to type a paper, but it all comes down to pushing buttons on a keyboard (unless you use some voice recognition software). My advice is to stick with whatever programs you currently use because after a point, it's all the same.

One truly useful development I have noticed in software is the personal information manager (PIM). Programs such as Symantec's ACT! and Lotus's Organizer will help you get your act together. Increasingly, companies are using such programs as Lotus Notes to coordinate individuals doing group work from various locations.

On the hardware side, developments have been just as fruitful. As a testimony, last week I purchased 3Com's PalmPilot and already wonder how I lived without it. No longer do I lug around a three-inch binder with calendar, meeting minutes and financial info. Instead I slip the wallet sized Pilot into my pocket, and I'm off!

Of course, the newest and most popular kid on the information age block--the Internet--has a bottomless pit of useless information ranging from self-aggrandizing "homepages" to www.nosepicker.com

But don't let the excessive junk get you down, for amid the chaff-ridden choices are valuable research resources. A quick search of scholarly mailing lists provided me with a number of non-Harvard professor outlooks on the subject of a recent paper. A slightly longer look, and I was able to save 20 percent on a holiday purchase.

There are other very practical uses of the Internet as well. Of course, e-mail. But additionally, you can now get point-to-point directions between nearly any two locations in the U.S. and find great deals on travel fairs from such sites as travelocity.com.

These are the things that the normal person will appreciate.

People, don't to tire yourself out trying to match the increasing speed of the industry. What really is the difference between a 200Mhz and 233Mhz processor? Not much (really, how fast can you cut and paste?). For the average user, the Joe and Jane Sixpacks, be not preoccupied with the hype over this or that new faster gizmo. Simply ask yourself, "What do I need?"

You'll find that the answer costs very little and will save you even more in terms of stress.

--Baratunde R. Thurston '99 is the Claverly Hall user assistant for HASCS, editor-in-chief of the HCS's Computers@Harvard and a Crimson editor. He is fed up with the rapidly changing computer industry and uses an abacus forall his computing needs. Wayne lives.