New IOP Fellows Include Nobel Laureate

By Ilana N. Bragin, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

A Nobel Peace Prize winner and former head of state, a former press secretary to Barbara Bush and a former mayor join five others as fellows at the Institute of Politics (IOP) this spring, IOP officials announced Monday.

"These fellows are engaging, eclectic and very student-oriented," said Theresa Donovan, coordinator of the fellows program for the IOP. "Their real-life experiences in politics and their wonderful personalities should inspire students."

Oscar Arias served as president, of Costa Rica from 1986 to 1990 and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987. He received an honorary degree from the University in 1986 and gave its Commencement address the same year.

Named an Elizabeth B. and Dennis B. Heffernan visiting fellow, Arias is also the director of the Arias Foundation for Peace and Human Progress.

John Perry Barlow, an associate fellow, was formerly chair of the Republican Party of Wyoming. With diverse vocations ranging from lyricist for the Grateful Dead to author of the widely-distributed Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, Barlow is currently interested in the influence of the Internet on politics.

John Bullard is director of the Office of Sustainable Development and Inter-governmental Affairs in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) of the U.S. Department of Commerce. He was also a former mayor of New Bedford, Mass.

Joseph B. Dial, former commissioner of the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), has represented the CFTC at conferences around the world.

Cheryl Lau was general counsel of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 1996 and a former Nevada Secretary of State.

Major General William Nash served as commander of Task Force Eagle, a multinational division organized to implement the Dayton Peace Accords in Bosnia-Herzegovina. He has received the Army's Distinguished Service Medal, the Silver Star and the Purple Heart.

Anna Perez was secretary to Barbara Bush and press secretary to U.S. Congressional representative John Miller. Perez currently works as vice president of government relations for the Walt Disney Company.

Dan Schnur is former director of communications for California Governor Pete Wilson and former communications director of the California Republican Party.

Donovan said prospective fellows are selected based on recommendations and nominations from students and faculty involved with the IOP.

"Our decisions are guided and influenced by the interests of the students involved in the IOP," she said.

According to Donovan, the fellows arrived at Harvard over the weekend and will explore the campus and audit classes this coming week.

In a press release, IOP Director Alan J. Simpson expressed his enthusiasm for the spring fellows.

"There is surely a broad range of diverse and practical experience in this exciting group of people which should serve to inspire our students and stimulate our community during our spring semester," he said. "I am very pleased."

IOP study groups led by the Fellows will begin the week of Feb. 17.