DON'T SELL THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT

OFF THE WIRE

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla.--Perhaps nothing left in our culture is sacred. Integrity. Authority. Justice. Respect. Compassion. Democracy. All of these once were held in high esteem by a majority of Americans, at least theoretically. But, today almost anyone with enough power and money can buy these items like plastic Buddha statues at a garage sale.

So, should we be surprised that officials in our Student Government have proposed revisions to election codes, which would allow presidential and vice-presidential candidates to purchase a space on the ballot for $330? No, we shouldn't.

Should we be appalled at the total disregard for representative government and the democracy-for-sale attitude exhibited by this proposal? Absolutely.

The nerve of these senators to suggest these revisions, which also include increasing the number of signatures needed to get on the ballot from 150 to 800, is unsettling. So far, the main explanation rests on a claim that "frivolous parties" and candidates who are not serious about their elections need to be discouraged from running.

We assume these views point self-righteous fingers at groups such as the Naked Party, the Smash the Blood Sucking Oppressor Party and the party without a name. These three groups are the only ones who challenged the mainstream parties in last year's elections. Where are all of these "frivolous parties," my dear senators? Yes, the Naked Party was extreme. They were naked. But, Naked had several valid proposals including telephone voting and pay cuts for SG officers. The nameless party sought improvements in on-campus cable television programming and activities for on-campus students.

These proposals are not frivolous, and just because a student chooses not to join one of the two Greek-dominated parties does not mean they are not serious. Forget that there is no basis in reality for this argument that would prevent pseudo-parties. The irony inherent in the argument is the most staggering point. The "buy-a-ballot" revision would attract these piddling parties and candidates that it is purported to prevent. If anyone with enough money to pay the $330 can join the election race, who will take it seriously? These candidates can bypass the effort of collecting signatures, a process which at least presents the impression of motivation and willingness to act. --STAFF EDITORIAL,   INDEPENDENT FLORIDA ALLIGATOR (U. OF FLORIDA)