Former Senator Simpson to Replace IOP Director Sharp

Campion will also leave at end of fall semester

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Former Wyoming Senator Alan K. Simpson will head up the new guard of leaders at the Institute of Politics (IOP) this semester, following the resignations in late December of the two top staff members, Director Phil R. Sharp and Director of the ARCO Forum Heather P. Campion.

Campion, who is also the Associate Director of the IOP, gave notice that she will leave the organization at the end of January to become a senior vice president at Citizens Financial Group in Rhode Island.

Sharp, who served in the House of Representatives for Tennessee before coming to Harvard, resigned his post two weeks ago. He will continue to teach at the Kennedy School of Government.

After serving as the IOP director for more than two years, Sharp said that he decided to step down from the position to devote more time to teaching at the Kennedy School and toward and Environmental Protection Agency on which he serves.

"I'm just eager to get back to more teaching," said Sharp, who has worked as IOP director since 1995. "There's a number of other things that I'm interested in doing."

Simpson, who retired from the Senate in 1997 after three decades in politics, will become director of the IOP at the end of this semester.

But Sharp said that his involvement in the IOP will not end when Simpson assumes the post. He will join the IOP's Senior Advisory Committee.

"I think that the Institute of Politics is a terrific institution," he said. "In my letter [of resignation] to the dean I just was very positive about the Institute of Politics and in particular the students in it who are really extraordinary."

Simpson taught at the Kennedy School last spring as a visiting lecturer. He will continue to hold the Lombard Chair at the Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy in addition to his IOP position.

Simpson could not be reached for comment yesterday.

In an interview, Campion said after seven years at the forum and 15 years at the Kennedy School, it was time for her to move on.

"I thought it one of the greatest opportunities that one could ever have in a professional career," she said.

Campion said she hopes to continue an association with the IOP in some capacity, she said.

Campion has been instrumental in ensuring top speakers for the ARCO Forum, including headline-makers such as Senators Richard A. Gephardt (D-Mo.) and John McCain (R-Az.), who spoke this semester.

In addition, the new Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Henry H. "Hugh" Shelton, chose the Forum for his first major public address.

"Heather is incredibly talented and driven to produce the best for the students and the Harvard community," said Catherine A. McLaughlin, the IOP's deputy director.

McLaughlin specifically lauds Campion "ability to network across party lines and bring in people all the around the world."

Speakers ranging from the Dalai Lama to Barbra Steisand to Yassir Arafat have stood at the podium before packed audiences during Campion's tenure.

"I think a great deal of the forum depends on the forum director," said IOP Chair of Communications Massy Tadjedin '99.

Both Simpson and his wife will live in Eliot House, Master Stephen A. Mitchell wrote in an e-mail yesterday.

"I am delighted beyond belief that they are returning--they were wonderful company and splendid members of the community," Mitchell wrote. "Indeed, I would hold Senator and Mrs. Simpson up as models of what Resident Scholars at their best can, and do, offer the Houses."

Simpson was approached about the IOP in late December by the IOP's senior advisory committee comprised of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) and other political luminaries, McLaughlin said. He immediately accepted.

The senator was already slated to lecture full time at the Kennedy School and relished the additional opportunity, McLaughlin said.

"He is incredibly excited about this," McLaughlin said, adding that the IOP's mission of inspiring students to participate in politics is very much a goal of the former senator. "He loves the mission and the connection with students."

McLaughlin said Simpson last year attended a dozen IOP suppers--a popular networking and discussion event held after the IOP's study groups.

In a press release, Kennedy, a leading Democrat, said of Simpson, an outspoken Republican: "He's an outstanding choice. He served the people of Wyoming and the nation well for 18 brilliant years in the Senate and he'll do an excellent job and the Institute of Politics."

"I just hope he remembers it's Harvard Yard, not Harvard Prairie," he added.

The IOP advisory committee is actively seaching for Campion's replacement. They have not yet centered upon any candidates, McLaughlin said.

"I've had a lot of thoughts about [my replacement] and there have been a number of very stellar people who have been interested in the job," Campion said.

McLaughlin said Sharp's and Campion's resignations coming at nearly, the same time is mere happenstance.

"It's just an unfortunate coincidence," she said.

As the forum and the IOP do not organize too many events for this month's reading period and final examinations, the leadership transition will not greatly affect the organization's work, Tadjedin said.

Still, Campion is doing what IOP officials say she does best right up until the end of her tenure.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Bill Richardson "and a number of other very, very senior people are in the works and may be here in January," Campion said.

And whoever assumes Campion's role in the spring won't have too tough a time organizing that semester.

"I've got a lot of stuff already planned for them in the spring, so I hope the transition is smooth," Campion said.

"We're all going to miss Phil," Tadjedin said. "He was very easy to work with and his political experience was invaluable.