Wil' Call

The "V" Spot

By Michael R. Volonnino

At halftime on Saturday, Harvard Coach Tim Murphy felt something needed to change. The offense had remained stagnant for yet another game. Junior quarterback Rich Linden had completed a mere five passes on 10 attempts for 50 yards. The score was tied 7-7.

So out came Linden and in went fellow junior Brad Wilford. Two-and-a-half minutes and four completions later, the Crimson led 14-7.

Suddenly Harvard had a budding quarterback controversy.

"We just needed a spark," Murphy said. "I didn't have any great knowledge [Wilford] could turn this around, but he played well in a difficult spot."

Wilford certainly provided a spark. He also presented his case for more playing time on Saturday in connecting on 10 of his 16 throws for 98 yards and one touchdown.

Wilford came out of the locker room firing bullets. His first play from scrimmage was a simple, crisp, five-yard out to sophomore wideout Josh Wilske. Then on second down, Wilford gunned a 17-yard pass to tightly covered junior wideout Terence Patterson cutting through the middle. After a six-yard run by junior tailback Chris Menick and another nice completion to Wilske, Wilford ran the ball himself to the 11-yard line, scrambling through a hole in the right side of the line.

He capped the drive on the next play. Wilford rolled right under heavy pursuit by two Crusader linemen. Before he ran out of bounds, he found Menick cutting right across the center of the end zone and drilled a pass into his hands for a touchdown.

Wilford started the half a perfect 5-for-5. His first incomplete pass should have been a touchdown. On first down from the Holy Cross 24-yard line, he lofted a pass to the front right corner of the end zone to Wilske, who was running a deep slant. Two stepsfrom the ball, Wilske stumbled and the passdropped to the ground.

"I just wanted to go in, move the ball and getthe job done," Wilford said. "It wasexhilarating."

In addition to displaying a strong, accuratearm, Wilford demonstrated remarkable poise for abackup. Midway through the final quarter theCrimson faced a long third down and 14 from theHoly Cross 24. From the shotgun, Wilford againrolled right and found senior wideout Jake Helleron the 10-yard line for an improbable first down.

The Crimson offense responded to Wilford'sstrong play. Menick gained 118 of his 167 rushingyards in the second half. Three of the six Crimsondrives entered the red zone, and a fourth reachedthe Holy Cross 24.

Two Menick fumbles and an excess of penaltiesprevented Harvard from adding any more pointsuntil overtime, but overall the offense had life.

"Everyone was fired up for Brad," Menick said."We had so much confidence in Brad, and we saw itin his eyes how fired up he was. We knew we wouldwhoop ass."

That intensity level was the difference betweenhalves. With Linden at the helm, the Crimsonattack seemed dull and stagnant. After Harvard'searly first quarter touchdown, Linden led his teamacross midfield only once--thanks to a Crusaderroughing-the-passer penalty. Harvard gave thoseyards right back, taking a 14-yard holding penaltyon the next play. Three of the five Crimson drivesfailed to earn a first down. The other stalled onthe Crimson 33-yard line.

Linden racked up 26 of his 50 yards on the lonetouchdown drive, highlighted by a 21-yard pass tosophomore Chris Stakitch--a perfectly timedfive-yard out that Staktich turned upfield to the32-yard line. Linden also displayed hiselusiveness, rushing 12 yards on a third-and-3from the Holy Cross 26. Linden appeared to bewrapped up three times by Crusader defenders, buthe slipped through each tackle for the first downand more.

Aside from that one brilliant series, Lindenappeared off his rhythm the rest of the game. Hefrequently led his receivers just a little toofar--especially on short routes--which preventedthe designed run after the catch.

It certainly is not fair to blame Harvard'sfirst half offensive woes entirely on Linden. TheCrusader defense did an excellent job containingthe run, forcing more passing downs. In addition,the Crimson took several penalties that made thequarterback's job tougher. Still, at halftimeLinden was not altogether surprised by the switch.

"I kind of expected it," he said. "I knew[Wilford] was supposed to get a series anyway, andhe played so well I guess the coaches decided toleave him in the game."

After leading Harvard to glory last year,Linden has hit upon hard times the past couple ofgames. Amidst the rain, mud and muck last weekagainst Cornell, Linden completed only four passesfor 49 yards. In the home opener against Lehigh,he went 16 for 32, gaining only 113 yards, whilethrowing two interceptions.

For the season, Linden has connected only 52times on 104 tries for 476 yards. Worse, he hasthrown for just one touchdown against sixinterceptions.

In fairness, Linden has had to adjust to newprimary receivers this year; Wilske and Pattersonhave not yet reached the caliber of last year'score. Earlier in the year, he faced constantpressure from opposing defensive lines as it tooktime for the offensive line to adjust to lifewithout now-Minnesota Viking left tackle Matt Birk'98.

Despite these caveats, Linden's play has fallenfrom last year.

"I wish I could pinpoint the problem," Lindensaid. "Football is a combination of so manythings, but I do think this team is beginning togel and we have moved the ball well lately."

Until he can right himself, Linden, theunequivocal starter for Harvard over the past twoseasons, may be in jeopardy of losing his job.While Wilford has been a career backup forHarvard, Murphy may want to see if the spark hebrought to the team can continue to ignite.

Ironically, Linden started his first game forHarvard Oct. 19, 1996 against Holy Cross,replacing then junior Jay Snowden '98.

"I was pumped when [Wilford] was able to movethe ball," Linden said. "Brad and I are friendsand competitors. If there is a competition, I haveevery bit of confidence in my abilities."

Murphy still has confidence in Linden'sability, but would not confirm his startingquarterback for next week.

Out went Linden. In came Wilford. Harvard gainsa win and a dilemma. Princeton is next.CrimsonSeth H. PerlmanBRAD TO THE BONE:Junior BRAD WILFORDsaw big minutes on Saturday.