HSA Board Elects Asst. Manager to Presidency

By Barbara E. Martinez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Last night, the board of directors of Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) elected Noble M. Hansen '00 as its president for next year.

Hansen, a social studies concentrator in Mather House, is a relative neophyte at HSA, where he was hired as the assistant manager of HSA Cleaners last year.

"I've always worked while I've been here, more than 20 hours a week," Hansen said, adding that he did not find out about opportunities at HSA until halfway through his sophomore year.

"I will have to work very hard in my training to learn all the things that managers have to know," Hansen said. "As long as I am focused on those things, I'm sure I can learn what I need to know."

Outgoing president Catherine J. Turco '99 said she will train Hansen over the next two months to take over her current responsibilities.

In addition to pursuing his or her own agenda, the HSA president must select a vice president and the managers of each agency.

Hansen said he hopes to focus on internal improvements at HSA in the upcoming year.

Last year, Turco and the board brought in a consulting firm, Technical Development Corp., to analyze HSA at the corporate level.

Hansen said he will make the consultant's report the keystone of HSA's internal restructuring.

"I think it should be a top priority of next year's president to look at those reports when we think about senior staff and the financial organization of the company," Hansen said.

HSA recently lost its general manager andassistant general manager--both full-timeprofessionals hired by HSA.

Hansen said he would take this opportunity toredefine these roles in order to best support HSAmanagers.

HSA will undergo many other changes underHansen's watch as well, including renegotiation ofLet's Go's publishing contract, continuedexpansion of the Center for Enterprise and growthof its capital campaign.

While he plans to oversee these efforts, Hansensaid there will also be managers to focus on eachproject full-time.

"What made me decide to run for president wasthat I didn't see anyone who was going to make ithis or her priority to focus on the internalstrength of HSA," Hansen said. "I want to providea strong foundation for the long-term growth andsuccess of HSA."

Hansen clinched the election at a private boardof directors meeting. His opponents were Andrew W.Mitchell '00 and Andrew M. Murphy '00.

"All three candidates were very qualified,"Turco said. "It was a great election, and I'm surethat Noble is going to do a great job, and I'msure that FY 2000 is going to be a great success.