Magazine Elects 20th Board

NEWS BRIEFS

By Sasha A. Haines-stiles

Sujit M. Raman '00 and Laura M. Weinrib '00 are the co-editors-in-chief of the Harvard International Review's new executive board which was elected Wednesday.

"This year is special because it is the 20th anniversary [of the magazine]," Raman said. "We're planning two major projects."

The first is the creation of a Review Web site, which will make current and archived articles available online. The site will also allow 'Net surfers to send e-mail messages to the editors.

The Review "tries to be as professional a magazine as possible, and one of the major ways we lag behind other journals is not having presence on the Web," Weinrib explained.

The second planned project for the year is the publication of a special anniversary issue this summer.

"It's going to be a more sweeping version of our normal magazine," said Weinrib of the planned issue.

"I can't really talk about it--it's a big surprise," Raman added.

The Review is published quarterly and enjoys a readership of over 15,000, according to Raman.

Past contributors to the Review include President Clinton and Lamont University Professor Emeritus and 1998 Nobel Prize winner Amartya K. Sen.

Upcoming issues will include articles by James Gustave Speth, administrator of the United Nations Development Program and Jeffrey D. Sachs '76, director of the Harvard Institute for International Development, Raman said.

Weinrib said she is very excited about prospects for the journal.

"Recently we've undergone a massive overhaul," she said. "But [former editors-in-chief Hal M. Jones '99 and Gil Dibner '99] have locked everything into place, so Sujit and I can move forward."

Other newly-elected members of the 1998-99 board are Managing Editor Alex G. Kuo '01, Executive Editor Soman S. Chainani '01, Design Editor Jennifer L. Liu '01, Features Editors Susan H. Gim '00 and Adam J. Reiss '99, Perspectives Editors Ryan M. Calder '99 and Steven J. Kruczek '01, World-in-Review Editors Jessica L. Leino '00 and Evan G. Liaras '00, Global Notebook Editors Ileana M. Ciobanu '00 and Jim J. Meeks '01 and Marketing Director Konstantinos Papakonstantinou '01.