New Plates in Houses Irk Some, Please Others

By Jacob P. Goldstein, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Students and dining hall workers have expressed mixed reactions to the introduction of new ceramic dishes in the Adams, Quincy and Quad House dining halls this year.

"There's some good things, a lot more bad things," said Ryan K. DiBacco, an employee in the Adams dining hall.

Ted A. Mayer, director of Harvard Dining Services, said he decided to introduce the new dishes to improve the dining experience, adding that they might better withstand the wear and tear of a college dining hall.

They were purchased through a bidding process, in which Mayer and an informal committee including some dining hall managers and the purchasing director selected from six different types of china.

New plates, bowls and cups will be phased in to all dining halls after two more years, Mayer said.

Cabot House resident Colleen T. Gaard '99, who is a Crimson editor, wondered why Harvard decided to spend money on new dishes.

"It doesn't make sense to spend money on these dishes when there are other, more important things Harvard needs," she said.

Gaard suggested other changes in the dining halls, including the nutrition cards, workers' uniforms and table tents.

Some diners said that the new dishes enhance the dining experience.

Pforzheimer resident Michelle M.

Echeverria '01 said the new dishes "make mewant to eat in the Quad rather than Loker."

Selene W. Kaye '01, also a Pforzheimerresident, said the food has improved because ofthe new dishes.

"They're so classy they make the food tastebetter," she said. "The other ones retain thechlorine smell."

Jan Dean, an employee in Quincy dining hall,said she thought the new dishes have led to fewercomplaints about dirty dishes.

"These are always clean," she said. "They'rejust heavy."

The weight and size of the dishes irkPforzheimer resident Kalil S. Oldham'99.

"It's a real pain in the neck," he said,complaining that he cannot fit all the dishes hewould like on his tray. "The way I see it, theydid this to prevent us from taking them back tothe room," he said.

"I think it's really an aesthetic thing," saidDavid C. Bear '92, a tutor in Pforzheimer. Bearsaid, ultimately, the new dishes affect the dininghall workers much more than the students.

"We'll whine about anything. How the workersfeel about it is much more important," he said.

Patricia C. Machado, a server in Adams, said"[The ceramic] holds the food hotter when studentsbring them to the table."

Durability may be an issue. But Mayer said, "Wehaven't noticed any more breakage."

Some dining hall workers complained the changehas meant more work for them.

Set up, break down and dish washing take longerbecause of the weight of the dishes and for fearof breaking them, several workers said.

And when the dishes do break, some workers havebeen cut cleaning up the pieces.

DiBacco complained about the noise the newdishes created in Adams House.

"You can hear the noise of the dish room overeven a full dining hall," he said