W. Swimming Ready To Get Season Started

By Tim M. Martin, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

If there is only one truly optimistic group of athletes at Harvard, it has to be the women's swimming and diving team. And the Crimson is enthusiastic for good reason.

After graduating some of its finest ever last June, like Jen Steffen '98 and Keiko Iwahara '98, the squad could have easily lowered its expectations. Instead, it has returned stronger, deeper and more upbeat than ever despite the losses.

"We've set our sights high for this season," said senior co-captain Jocelyn Ludwick. "There haven't been many tests so far this season, but I think we've proven to ourselves that we're ready for any upcoming challenges."

Overcoming challenges isn't new to most of the Crimson, with veterans like junior Nancy Jo helping to lead the charge.

"I have a lot of confidence in our upperclassmen," said Jo, last year's Ivy runner-up in the 200-yard freestyle. "We've been able to retain most of our strengths from last year."

"Plus, this season's intensified training has really improved those strengths already," she added.

The returning Harvard line-up would love to improve on last year's success, when the Crimson finished third in the Ivy League behind powerhouse teams from Brown and Princeton. Harvard is looking for key performances from the likes of sophomore Pia Chock, who will continue to make her presence in the Ivy League felt in the sprint freestyle and butterfly events.

Chock and Jo will be accompanied by versatile juniors Corie Calfee and Adrienne Leight, who hope to follow up strong performances at last year's Ivies with even better finishes.

And one can never count out the Crimson's aerial assault. With all of the divers returning and the addition of two freshmen, the contingency's goals are lofty.

"With our focused attitude and depth," said sophomore diver Kristin Hennings, "we are ready to rip it this year and compete with the best the Ivy League has to offer."

This strength and drive of the divers permeates the whole team atmosphere, including the incoming freshmen.

"The freshmen are going to be a force to reckoned with," said senior co-captain Courtney Swain. "Not only are they extremely talented, but they're energetic and enthusiastic."

"The team's really going to benefit from their emotional presence and the depth they've given the team," Swain added.

This year's freshmen certainly are quick. Several have already made significant impressions on the team during the pre-season.

Freestylers Tina Weiner and Janna McDougall anchor the distance and sprint races, respectively, while Liz Baxter joins junior Alexis Todor for a double whammy in the breaststroke events.

Actually, the freshman class as a whole may make Blodgett Pool a little chilly this year because this is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

The first-years and their older counterparts will soon have some further indications about the season, as they meet defending Ivy champion Brown on Friday and pesky Columbia on Sunday.

Although the season doesn't rest on the results of one or two dual meets, Harvard certainly wants a win against both, especially Brown.

"We're going after them on Friday," Ludwick said. "I think we are the underdogs, but on paper the meet looks close, and we won't be backing down. The team's been gearing up for them for a couple of weeks, and we are certainly ready to go."

The Crimson hopes its optimism will carry through the week and have a snowball effect on the Bears and Lions.