Our Dean Departs

The ubiquitous Epps retires after 35 years of serving students

An elder statesman of Harvard Yard announces his retirement today; with the departure of Archie C. Epps III from active duty as Dean of Students comes the end of an era in the history of the College. Twentynine years after the young then-assistant dean was carried out of University Hall during the student takeover of 1969, Epps has left a mark on this campus as mediator, spiritual benefactor and consummate protector of Harvard tradition.

One of only two deans of students in the last half century of the College and, notably, one of the first black administrators in the Ivy League, Epps lists among his many accomplishments facilitating a striking rise in the number of student groups, coordinating the extensive review and discussion of race relations and helping to form the shape of our current student government.

But more than that, Epps has been a symbol of Harvard--with his trademark bow ties, he is perhaps one of the only universally recognizable figures on campus, as well as a constant presence at student events. The ubiquity of Dean Epps gives meaning to his title as our dean. Although the Dean of Students has not always been as receptive to the needs of students as some of us would have liked, he has been passionate in his support of the arts at Harvard, particularly choral music and the Glee Club with which he once sang. And he is a walking encyclopedia of the University's history, sharing stories of Harvard past with students and non-students alike. In 1995, he recounted his painful experience during the '69 takeover in a speech to the Massachusetts Historical Society.

We hope that as he assumes his new self-styled role of "Senior Associate Dean" he will continue to protect the University's institutional memory and have time to work on his own student initiatives. Additionally, it is necessary to preserve the position of Dean of Students for Epps' suc cessor. In announcing his retirement, Epps quoted from the Journals of Ralph Waldo Emerson, class of 1821, referring to the "long winding train" of men and women who have touched this institution. He now takes his place in that long winding train as a living legend of Harvard history.