Elections Won't Affect Harvard

By Robert K. Silverman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Tuesday's elections will not materially affect Harvard's policies in Washington, University administrators said yesterday.

Harvard's interests enjoy bipartisan support, and administrators are confident that the newly elected 106th Congress will be as generous as their predecessors.

"I wouldn't anticipate major changes," said Jane Corlette, the acting vice president for government, community and public affairs. "Luckily, both sides of the aisle support our interests."

Toward the end of last term, Congress approved the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act and passed an omnibus package that provided substantial funding for research institutions, including Harvard.

Although it is still too early for in-depth analysis, administrators said they are confident that the new Congress will be equally sympathetic.

Harvard's central concerns, which include science and research funding and financial aid, enjoy the support of both Democrats and Republicans.

"Both parties have become convinced that research is a very good investment," Corlette said. "Economic conservatives view it as a way to strengthen the economy, and liberals see it as a form of social welfare, a way to improve the lives of human beings."

Although the Democrats did gain five seats in the House of Representatives, the composition of both theHouse and the Senate will remain fairly evenlysplit between the two parties.

"Congress hasn't changed a great deal. Therewasn't a lot of turnover," Corlette said.

While most of Harvard's interests do enjoybipartisan support, even those issues that aremore controversial passed without a hitch lastterm, according to Director of Federal RelationsNan F. Nixon, Harvard's chief lobbyist inWashington.

Funding for the National Endowment for Arts andHumanities faced Republican opposition in thepast, but "went smoothly" this year, Nixon said,and such support is likely to continue in the nearfuture, she said.

Faculty members also said the trend towardbipartisan support of higher education fundingwould probably persist.

"Both parties have expressed a concern forresearch and development of science andtechnology, and my sense is that the elections arenot substantial enough to change that," said Deanof Research and Information Technology Paul C.Martin '52.

Tuesday's election results had an addedsignificance for the University, as Harvard willhave one more alumnus in the Senate, in the personof Charles E. Schumer '71, who will replaceAlfonse D'Amato (R--NY).

"We're always delighted when a Harvard alum iselected," Nixon said.

"We're always feel very comfortable going toalums," Corlette said. "They're usually morewilling to talk to us."

Corlette, however, was quick to add adisclaimer to her statement.

"It certainly does not mean that every memberof Congress with a Harvard degree will vote withus. They have their own ideas and constituents,"she said.

Martin, who is also Van Vleck professor of pureand applied physics, said he was pleased aboutSchumer's election for a different reason, hisposition on funding for the sciences.

"I don't think that it's a Harvard tiequestion," he said. "Schumer is certainly more ofa friend of the sciences than D'Amato.