Fledgling Law School Group Protests Lack of Racial, Gender Diversity

Students organize to call for increased efforts by HLS administration

By Sarah E. Reckhow, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

A week before Harvard Law School (HLS) celebrates 45 years of coeducation, a group of about 75 law students are asking the school's administration to step up efforts to diversify the student body.

Sozi T. Sozinho '97, a first-year at HLS, said the school was a letdown after the diversity of Harvard College.

"When we came here, a lot of students were expecting a more diverse setting," he said. "We didn't find it here."

As of last fall, women made up 46 percent of the College's student body, compared with 42 percent at HLS. And 42 percent of the College's population was white, compared with 54 percent at HLS, which has the third-highest proportion of white students out of Harvard's 12 schools.

Members of the group, which formed about two weeks ago and has not chosen a name yet, also point to declining enrollment of black students.

This year's entering class has 42 black students, down from 65 two years ago, according to Sozinho.

Admissions officials could not be reached for comment, but Sozinho said they have accounted for the drop by pointing to a higher number of black students deferring enrollment in this year's class.

HLS first-year Ramesh Kumar sent an e-mail message that brought between 70 and 80 students together for a brainstorming session, Sozinho said.

"We all got together and put up a list of things we were concerned about," he said. The list included increasing hate crime awareness and public service.

"We decided to focus on diversity first," he said.

The group is still in its formative stages, and it is trying to work with other student organizations concerned about diversity, such as the Black Law Students Association and the Women's Law Association.

"Basically the organization is just forming now," said HLS first-year Amelia Von Briesen '95. "[We are] a group of students who are new to the Law School and want to help these organizations' efforts."

The students are now planning a petition drive for Celebration 45, an event late next week that will mark the 45th anniversary of the first class of women to graduate from HLS.

The students say they are concerned about lower female enrollment in HLS relative to other law schools and hope to draw the HLS community's attention to the inequality.

"The enrollment of women at Harvard has been stagnant at 42 percent," but the enrollment of women at other law schools is higher, Sozinho said. "Right now we're just trying to raise awareness."

"Basically, it's a letter to the alumni who will be coming to Celebration 45, asking for their support," Von Briesen said.

Von Briesen said Celebration 45 sends a mixed message about the current role of womenat HLS.

"It's very standard Harvard to make a big dealout of something I'm not so sure they should bemaking a big deal out of," she said. "[But] it isa great celebration. Recognizing women'sachievements at the Law School is probably a stepin the right direction."

Group members said they are enthusiastic aboutthe group's potential for activism.

"Diversity [is an issue] among a lot of otherthings including public service," Sozinho said."The problem is to maintain the momentum.