Former U.N. Official Attacks Iraq Sanctions

Halliday calls measures' impact on nation `appalling'

By Molly J. Moore, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In his first public appearance since his resignation as United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq this fall, Dennis Halliday spoke out last night against sanctions imposed on the Middle East nation.

The event, which drew a crowd of about 150 people to Harvard Hall, was sponsored by the Harvard chapter of the World Conference on Religion and Peace and the Harvard-Radcliffe Society of Arab Students.

"My agenda here is to raise awareness of the appalling impact of economic sanctions," Halliday said.

Halliday attacked what he labeled the unacceptable consequences of the sanctions on Iraq.

"There is no justification, in my view for the death and malnutrition that these sanctions are responsible for," Halliday said.

He proposed the UN find alternate ways and means of compelling Iraq to follow international law.

"The continuation of sanctions shows a bankruptcy of ideas," he said.

Halliday stressed the necessity of UN sensitivity when dealing with national sovereignty, but advocated intervention only under certain conditions.

"I believe that member states should, must enforce codes of conduct," he said.

Halliday spent the bulk of his speech addressing the impact of the sanctions on the Iraqi populace.

"Sanctions will continue to destroy the people of Iraq if not modified," he said.

According to Halliday, an estimated 7,000 children die every month due to the sanctions. He cited the poor health of mothers, malnutrition and waterborne diseases as the greatest contributors to child mortality.

"The civilian population is being targeted, hit, with appalling consequences," Halliday said.

He also emphasized the consequences of sanctions on the Iraqi social structure--an aspect of the situation he said is often overlooked.

According to Halliday, the sanctions can be directly related to the increase in single parent families, homelessness and prostitution.

He said he believes the traditional standards of behavior have been undermined and the Iraqi social order is threatened.

"War damaged the entire civilian social structure," he said.

Halliday also stressed the impact of the sanctions on the Iraqi economy.

"A moderate standard of life is impossible to attain or sustain," he said.

Halliday also spoke of the high unemployment rates among educated young people and the reduction of jobs for women.

"Many advances made by women in Iraq have beenset back," he said.

He said the sanctions are destroying Iraq'seducated middle class. According to Halliday,there is a severe "brain-drain" within Iraq as amajority of the country's educated elite has fledoverseas.

"Sanctions have served to isolate theintelligentsia from the world at large," he said.

Halliday also said many menial positions inIraq now pay more than civil service posts.

"Paradoxically it has become too expensive togo out and work," he said.

Because of the lack of contact with Westernideas, Halliday said alienation among the youngergenerations is inevitable. He warned the nextgeneration might become "dangerously introverted."

"The unhealthy psychological environment isperpetuated by sanctions and has an effect onpolitical orientation," Halliday said.

He predicted that a radical movement willdevelop among the younger generation because ofthe sanctions.

"It is impossible to discount alienation andits political consequence becoming a reality," hesaid.

Halliday concluded with a strong condemnationof current policy on Iraq.

"Sanctions destroy the lives of children. Theyare counterproductive and have no positive effecton the Iraqi government," he said