Glee Club Takes On Stereotypes, Group Dynamics

By Adam A. Sofen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

When Myoungil Cha '99 first came to Harvard, he decided he wanted to sing, but beyond that he was confused. Confronted with a dizzying array of campus musical groups--choirs, a cappella groups, choral societies--he was unfamiliar with the Harvard Glee Club. But after one recital at Convocation, he was hooked.

"Listening to that sound for the first time was unique," said Cha, who is now Glee Club president. "There's nothing like singing with a wall of sound of 60 voices...It has a very rich texture that a mixed choir can't produce."

The Glee Club stands apart from many of Harvard's singing groups because of its size, its long history and the fact that it is all-male. But the group faces something of a paradox: while many consider its musical quality better than ever, some members say its spirit is misunderstood on campus.

"We have a perception of [being] a Harvard old boys' club, even connecting us to finals clubs," Cha said. "I don't think it's justified."

Lasting Tradition

When it was founded in 1858, Glee Club was primarily a social organization that incidentally performed light songs or "glees" to the accompaniment of banjos. Today, the nation's oldest college choral group is far more professional, with a prestigious reputation in choral circles.

"It's a fantastic chorus, probably the best in the country," said Jameson N. Marvin, senior lecturer on music and the group's conductor.

Members credit Marvin with cultivating Glee Club's sound quality. He has been conducting the group since 1978.

"Jameson Marvin is probably the most prominent acting conductor in the United States if not the world," said singer Quentin Chu '99. "Being able to sing under him is my privilege."

But that success has been more difficult to attain in recent years as high schools have cut back on musical education. As a result, group members said fewer singers come to Harvard with formal musical backgrounds.

"It's harder work and it takes more effort," said Bernard E. Kreger '59, Glee Club's alumni secretary, who also regularly sings with the group. Marvin agrees that the Glee Club has seen a shortage of a highly-trained newcomers because few men learn to sing in high school.

"Boys are more encouraged to do sports than they are music," Marvin said. "There's a sense that singing is not what boys do in the ninth grade."

The Glee Club's repertoire is especially demanding because it is largely classical, with a selection of folk songs and works from the Renaissance. This year's lineup also contains several Eastern European pieces.

"Unlike a cappella groups, we sing a lot more serious music," Cha said. "We don't sing a lot of `pum pum pum, dum dum dum.' It's very rigorous."

`Where Are the Women?'

Unlike Glee Clubs at many other colleges,including Princeton and Yale, the Harvard GleeClub has remained all-male throughout its history.While that choice reflects the dramatic sound thatmale choruses can produce, group members say thedecision is often misunderstood.

"We go down to Yale or Princeton and somebodyyells out from the audience, 'Where are thewomen?'" Kreger said.

Marvin remembered a similar event.

"The Princeton Glee Club mocked the fact thatwe are still men," he said. "They're ignorant ofthe fact that we have a mixed choir."

Marvin said when other colleges' glee clubswent coed in the '60s, the Harvard group decidedto remain all-male to provide students with extraoptions. The Radcliffe Choral Society, which datesfrom 1898, also remained single-sex. Instead ofchanging the two groups, Marvin said a new coedgroup, the Collegium Musicum, was founded in 1971.

"We have five choirs at Harvard--it's acompletely different situation [than at Yale]," hesaid.

The all-male atmosphere does promote a sense of"brotherhood" among singers, said Vice PresidentJohn-Paul Giugliano '01.

"It's kind of a fraternity, but with a positivegoal," he said. "We can be crass...It's a malebonding experience, like when you have guys' nightout."

Interacting without women helps produce a morecomfortable environment at times, Chu said.

"It's easier to talk with a bunch of guys," hesaid.

But despite that sense of camaraderie, memberssaid they suspect some students wrongly picturemale singers as beyond the mainstream.

"People may tend to think it's a bunch of geekyguys singing some Latin text," Giugliano said.

Chu said that Glee Club's powerful, deep soundhelps counteract the stereotype that male singersare "more feminine" than other men.

"That sound explains a lot as to how macho weare," he said. "We're real men--we can give thatvolume."

The Bond of Brotherhood

The brotherhood of Glee Club extends beyondHarvard. Many alumni are strongly connected to theorganization--especially Kreger, who has sungregularly with the group for 40 years.

"I find it very refreshing to see what'scooking with undergraduates," he said.

During Glee Club's football concerts or itsnational tours, which take place each spring,alums sporting traditional Glee Club ties, awardedto new members at the group's annual fall retreat,come to the stage to sing "Fair Harvard" and otherCollege anthems.

"The alumni connection is great," Chu said,adding that at senior recruiting sessions, GleeClub graduates have helped him to land importantjob interviews.

But the connection also helps students whilethey're still at the College, establishing a placewithin a specialized group.

As Kreger said, "It's a great way for people tointegrate in a smaller unit than a House.

`Where Are the Women?'

Marvin remembered a similar event.

The Bond of Brotherhood