Yale Professor Placed Under House Arrest for Violating Bond

By Sasha A. Haines-stiles

Antonio C. Lasaga, the Yale professor and former Harvard lecturer charged last month with receiving and possessing child pornography, was arrested Wednesday for violating the terms of his release on bond.

Jeremiah Donovan, Lasaga's attorney, said his client was placed under house arrest at a hearing held last Wednesday for being in the vicinity of a young boy known to Lasaga who is a potential witness in the case pending against him, according to the Yale Daily News.

The terms of Lasaga's release on $50,000 bond stipulated that he not contact any children for the duration of the case.

MSNBC reported that federal officials who appeared at the hearing said Lasaga was seen repeatedly driving past the child's house and was also seen parked at the boy's school bus stop.

Lasaga, currently in his Cheshire, Conn., residence, is equipped with an electronic monitor to prevent him from leaving his home without authorization from state officials.

Lasaga resigned as master of Yale's Saybrook College Nov. 6 amid allegations of trafficking in Internet child pornography and turned himself in to U.S. Marshals in Bridgeport, Conn., Nov. 19.

Papers filed with Lasaga's arrest warrant said someone in the geology department had seen Lasaga, a geology and geophysics professor, downloading pictures of nude boys and boys having sex with men.

Lasaga is on paid leave from his teaching duties. Yale has not announced any plans to revoke his tenure.