Catholic Students Association Announces New Leadership

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Jonelle M. Lonergan

The Harvard-Radcliffe Catholic Student Association (CSA) named their officers for 1999 on Sunday night at the group's annual Candlemass service.

The office of president went to top vote-getter Anne L. Berry'01.

Berry said while she hopes to expand membership and run successful projects, she isn't planning any radical changes.

"Fundamentally, I think that the CSA is an excellent organization," said Berry, who has been a member of the group since the beginning of her first year.

"I hope to make all Catholics feel welcome there so people don't feel that they have to be super-spiritual folk [to join]," she said.

The other members of the group's Steering Committee are Tobias B. Jacoby '00, vice president of communications and finance; S. Joon Pahk '00, vice president of spirituality; Nina S. Sawyer '01, vice president of community development and Matthew S. Vogel '01, vice president of social justice.

Eight candidates ran for five positions in the election at large.

First-year students elected to the Frosh Committee are Mary C. Cardinale, Christopher L. Pierce, Melissa R. Moschella and Chairperson Gordon C. McCord. Cardinale is also a Crimson editor.

Newly elected members said they hope to expand and generate more interest among Catholics.

"We'd like to make CSA more inclusive.. expanding our social justice programs, adding more intellectual focus programs," Jacoby said.

"The main idea is reaching out to more out Catholics in the community and getting them involved in our projects," he said.

Tricia M. Michels'00, the group's previous president, said she has confidence in the new officers.

"I think the new board will bring a lot of individual strengths and a lot of experience... I think they'll be a great team," she said.

Upcoming events the group has planned include Christmas caroling, a collection of clothing for a Boston charity and a retreat for members in February. -Jonelle M. Lonergan