Capitalism Helps the Few

Letters

To the editors:

With Feldsteinesque eloquence, Kaustuv Sen correctly sings the laurels of capitalism. Certainly, capitalism has raised the standards of most people around the world, and those in banking and consulting play major roles in this effort. But have we done enough? Of all the money generated by capitalism, only a small portion trickles down to the disadvantaged people of the world. The vast majority of the money goes to executives, lawyers, bankers and other miniscule portions of the global community. While Sen accurately praises the value of capitalism, he should not congratulate himself too soon, because we can all still contribute to ensure that even more people will enjoy capitalism's many benefits.

Every career is in a position to make a permanent and direct difference in people's lives, particularly for those in most need. If your abilities and dreams are small, volunteer at a local shelter or tutor a teenager. If you think big, use your financial networks as a banker to raise money for charity, or volunteer your consulting skills to make a service group more efficient. Responsibility does not come from your choice of career, but rather from the actions you take once you are in your profession. I am not suggesting you turn down the job at Goldman & Sachs or throw away all of your self-interest. All I ask is that you take a few specific steps to help make the world a better community for us all. MICHAEL H.TANG   Dec. 2, 1998