Clarkson, St. Lawrence Two-Time M. Hockey

Harvard suffers through worst start in 58 years

By Richard S. Lee, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

When Harvard Men's Hockey Coach Clark Hodder '25 sat down to assess the state of his struggling team on March 5, 1941, there wasn't a whole lot he could do. Back in those days, there was no NCAA tournament, no ECAC and no Beanpot. An Ivy League title was out of the question since Harvard, 2-8-1 at the time, would play only one more game before the season expired.

Fifty-seven years later, the Crimson (2-8-1, 0-8-1 ECAC) finds itself with a similar record but in a much different predicament. Two home losses last weekend--a 2-1 setback Friday against Clarkson and a 5-1 defeat the next evening at the hands of St. Lawrence--leave Harvard in the midst of a downward spiral rivaled only by that disastrous team of 1940-41. CLARKSON  2 HARVARD  1 ST. LAWRENCE  5 HARVARD  1

But unlike Hodder's bunch, the present team has to do more than just close the books and wait for next year--over half of the season's games remain.

"I don't have any answers," said sophomore defenseman Graham Morrell after Saturday night's loss. "We have to think about these games, but eventually we have to forget about them and refocus. Everybody needs to figure out what they bring to the table."

On Friday night, Harvard played a surprisingly close game against Clarkson (5-6-0, 3-2-0 ECAC). Although the Golden Knights were able to eke out a victory, the Crimson played a tightchecking game throughout and on multiple occasions came close to tying it up.

But against St. Lawrence (8-4-0, 4-1-0 ECAC), whatever intensity Harvard had the night before seemed largely spent. A series of defensive errors led to a storm of second-period goals which gave the Saints a 4-0 lead and enough momentum to crush the Crimson's flagging morale for good.

"We looked like a completely different team from [Friday] night," said Harvard Coach Ronn Tomassoni after the game.

Clarkson 2, Harvard 1

Playing at home for the first time in five games, the Crimson began the game playing inspired hockey. Predictably the Golden Knights, with their big, burly starting lineup, utilized an aggressive forecheck and backcheck to intimidate the slightly smaller Crimson team.

But Harvard battled through and answered with an aggressive checking system of its own, generating a few quality scoring chances. Only five minutes into the period, Harvard went on the power play and put Clarkson goalie Shawn Grant to the test. A flurry of shots left the puck in the crease, but no one could knock it in.

"I think we caught them off-guard in the first period because we were playing pretty physically," said freshman forward Jeff Stonehouse.

About 10 minutes later, however, the Crimson finally found the back of the net to take a 1-0 lead. Stonehouse found a breakaway and skated down the left side, drawing away a Golden Knights defender. He took a quick shot that Grant blocked, but the puck took a fortuitous bounce and landed in front of senior forward Rob Millar.

Millar, who had streaked down behind Stonehouse and was dragging a Golden Knights defenseman with him, was able to get a stick on the puck and send it home at 14:53.

It was Millar's first goal of the season.

"I saw Rob coming down behind me and so I took the shot. When you get a shot on net, anything can happen," Stonehouse said.

For the rest of the period, the Crimson defense, helped by the stellar goaltending of sophomore Oliver Jonas, kept the Golden Knights scoreless. The Crimson's penalty killing unit looked especially sharp, neutralizing a potentially dangerous 4-on-3 Golden Knights advantage late in the period.

But during the second period, things changed. At 3:32, freshman forward Kyle Clark went to the box for interference. And this time the Crimson penalty kill couldn't deliver.

At 4:42, the Golden Knights set up their power play in the Crimson zone, passing the puck from point to point. Knights forward Erik Cole made a quick cross-ice pass to defenseman Philippe Roy, who was standing wide-open at the top of the right face-off circle. Roy squared up and sent a wicked shot that sailed over the left shoulder of Jonas to light the lamp.

The game-winner came about eight minutes later on a soft goal by Clarkson forward Matt Sayer. At 12:22, Sayer pushed thepuck across the blueline, pulled up on the rightside and took a low shot from a high angle thatsomehow slipped between Jonas's legs.

The Crimson came close to tying it up in thethird, unleashing a flurry of shots late in theperiod. But the Golden Knights defense tightenedup and was able to stifle any scoring chances.

"Their defense is big and tough. They just geton you," Stonehouse said.

The Harvard offense, which went 0-for-4 on thepower play, was without a number of key starters.Captain Craig Adams was out due to a gamedisqualification for fighting last week againstRensselaer. Also missing were sophomore forwardChris Bala (broken wrist) and freshman forwardDerek Nowak (concussion).

"We haven't had the opportunity to be acohesive unit because we're losing boys after eachgame," said Tomassoni.

But defensively, the Crimson showed signs ofimprovement from past games. The two goals itallowed against Clarkson pales in comparison tothe seven it allowed against Rensselaer and thefour it gave up against Brown. Moreover, Jonas,who was making his third start of the season, madesome spectacular saves, turning away 32 shots forthe night.

"We played really well," Tomassoni said. "Weget that kind of effort night in and night out andwe'll start winning games."

St. Lawrence 5, Harvard 1

Unfortunately, the intensity that Harvardexhibited on Friday night was largely nonexistentagainst St. Lawrence the next evening.

Between the pipes for the Saints was seniorEric Heffler, a standout goaltender whose .935save percentage going into the game ranked himnear the top of the league.

But if Heffler wanted to strut his stuff, theCrimson offense certainly didn't give him anyreason to. Instead, the burden fell primarily onHarvard's starting goalie, junior J.R.Prestifilippo, as the Saints outshot the Crimson23 to 9 in the first period.

The Harvard defense had trouble responding,making numerous turnovers in its own zone andfailing to pick up the open men.

The Saints' best chances came on its powerplay, with effective puck movement and blasts fromthe high slot by sophomore Erik Anderson.

"St. Lawrence had the best power play I've seenall year," Tomassoni said.

But Prestifilippo turned them all away, and theperiod ended with both teams scoreless.

"We didn't come out with any emotion orintensity," Morrell said. "J.R. kept us in thegame the first period, and my thought was, 'J.R.kept us in this one, now we have a chance to goout and win.' But instead we came out in thesecond with the same lack of emotion."

The result of that lack of emotion was a St.Lawrence goal only 48 seconds into the secondperiod. A Crimson turnover in its own zone allowedSaints defenseman Justin Harney to swoop acrossthe front of the net with the puck. Prestifilipposlid across the crease accordingly, but somehowHarney lost the puck. Saints forward John Poapst,who was following the play, found the loose puckand knocked it in.

The Crimson offense tried to generate scoringchances, but the few times it did, Heffler playedthe correct angles and rarely gave up anyrebounds.

At 17:23 the Crimson almost scored shorthandedwhen junior forward Trevor Allman blocked a shotfrom the point in his own zone and quicklycollected the puck on the breakaway. But Allman,harassed by a defender, lost the puck in front ofthe net and Heffler quickly gobbled it up. Hefflerended the night with 31 saves.

"They pressured us hard," Adams said. "We had atough time getting the puck into the zone."

A Harvard penalty at 5:57 gave St. Lawrence yetanother golden opportunity. With the Saints on thepower play, a scuffle along the left boardsallowed forward Al Fyfe to collect the puck andskate towards the back of the net.

He looked up and fed teammate Robin Carruthers,who was wide-open in the slot. Carruthers sent thepuck through the fivehole to make it 2-0 onlythree seconds after the power play had expired.

And just a minute later, the Saints scoredagain, only this time on a soft goal. At 9:07Saints defenseman Ray DiLauro sent a slap shotfrom the top of the left face-off circle.Prestifilippo blocked the shot with his chest, butsomehow the puck landed to his side and slowlydribbled over the line.

"J.R. played a great first period," Tomassonisaid. "But in the second, the dam finally broke."

"We get scored on in bunches," Adams said."After that first goal, we either let up or trytoo much. It's a type of panic I can't explain."

In the third period, the Crimson stepped up itsoffense, peppering Heffler with 15 shots. And at7:13 junior forward Brett Chodorow put his team onthe board with a nifty backhand shot from theright side. Linemate Scott Turco generated thescoring chance, breaking into the zone and drawingaway the extra defender.

But by that time, it was too little, too late.Disjointed and frustrated, the Harvard playersseemed to be skating on empty throughout thethird.

The Saints' fifth goal was the final nail inthe coffin and the most embarrassing moment of thenight for the Crimson. At 13:36 Prestifilippo wentbehind the net to gather what looked like aroutine dump. But instead of getting rid of thepuck, he inexplicably held on to it while the St.Lawrence forwards charged in.

Somehow the puck found its way in front of thepipes and was knocked into the open net by Saintsfreshman forward Brandon Dietrich.

"We were a step behind all night," Tomassonisaid. "We just were not sharp."

Harvard will take a welcome break next weekendbefore flying west on Dec.18 to play anon-conference, two-game weekend series againstNebraska-Omaha. Conference play will resume in1999 when Harvard faces Dartmouth and Vermont thefirst weekend of January.

"We're not going to get anywhere feeling sorryfor ourselves," Adams said. "We have to treat nextyear like a second season."

CLARKSON, 2-1at Bright Hockey CenterClarkson  0  2  0  --  2Harvard  1  0  0  --  1

First Period

Har--Millar (Stonehouse, Stay) 14:53.

Second Period

Clk--Roy (Cole, Mitchell) 4:42. (PPG)

Clk--Saper (Huskins, Turgeon) 12:22.

Saves: Clk--Grant 5-10-5 20; Har--Jonas10-13-9 32.

Power Play: Clk--1/6; Har--0/3.

Attendance: 1,914

ST. LAWRENCE, 5-1at Bright Hockey CenterSt. Lawrence  0  4  1  --  5Harvard  0  0  1  --  1

Second Period

Stl--Poapst (Harney) 0:48.

Stl--Carruthers (Fyfe, Clarke) 7:59.

Stl--DiLauro (Prier, Veneruzzo) 9:07.

Stl--Dietrich (Poapst, Harney) 18:51. (PPG)

Third Period

Har--Chodorow (Turco, Schwefel) 7:13.

Stl--Dietrich (Gellard) 13:36.

Saves:Stl--Heffler 6-11-14 31;Har--Prestifilippo 17-6-7 30.

Power Play:Stl--1/6; Har--0/6.

Attendance: 1,758CrimsonSeth H. PerlmanDO YOU, MR. JONAS? Sophomoregoaltender OLIVER JONAS keeps net.

Clarkson 2, Harvard 1

St. Lawrence 5, Harvard 1

First Period

Har--Millar (Stonehouse, Stay) 14:53.

Second Period

Clk--Roy (Cole, Mitchell) 4:42. (PPG)

Clk--Saper (Huskins, Turgeon) 12:22.

Power Play: Clk--1/6; Har--0/3.

Attendance: 1,914

Second Period

Stl--Poapst (Harney) 0:48.

Stl--Carruthers (Fyfe, Clarke) 7:59.

Stl--DiLauro (Prier, Veneruzzo) 9:07.

Third Period

Har--Chodorow (Turco, Schwefel) 7:13.

Stl--Dietrich (Gellard) 13:36.

Power Play:Stl--1/6; Har--0/6.

St. Lawrence 5, Harvard 1

First Period

Har--Millar (Stonehouse, Stay) 14:53.

Second Period

Clk--Roy (Cole, Mitchell) 4:42. (PPG)

Clk--Saper (Huskins, Turgeon) 12:22.

Power Play: Clk--1/6; Har--0/3.

Attendance: 1,914

Second Period

Stl--Poapst (Harney) 0:48.

Stl--Carruthers (Fyfe, Clarke) 7:59.

Stl--DiLauro (Prier, Veneruzzo) 9:07.

Third Period

Har--Chodorow (Turco, Schwefel) 7:13.

Stl--Dietrich (Gellard) 13:36.

Power Play:Stl--1/6; Har--0/6.

Second Period

Stl--Poapst (Harney) 0:48.

Stl--Carruthers (Fyfe, Clarke) 7:59.

Stl--DiLauro (Prier, Veneruzzo) 9:07.

Third Period

Har--Chodorow (Turco, Schwefel) 7:13.

Stl--Dietrich (Gellard) 13:36.

Power Play:Stl--1/6; Har--0/6.