Quillen 'Screams' for Student Groups

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Decked out in a black hood and ghostly rubber mask, Henry C. Quillen '00 wants to be the voice of the people. More accurately, he wants to scream for them.

Quillen, a candidate for president in the upcoming Undergraduate Council elections, is advocating changes he says he hopes will result in better representation of student interests.

His campaign slogan--"What makes you scream?"--and periodic appearances dressed in the costume of the killer from Scream and Scream 2--are turning the heads of endorsers and, Quillen hopes, voters.

"I think a lot of people think the U.C. is incompetent or irrelevant and they can get really frustrated with that...I'm trying to drive my message home and be distinctive," says Quillen, who has not served on the council.

Quillen attended an endorsement interview with the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) dressed in full costume, according to the group's Co-Chair Nicole L. Deblosi '99.

Deblosi says when an interviewer asked about Quillen's costume, he said he was wearing the costume for effect.

"I thought the costume was a relevant to my message and it was able to set me apart," Quillen said in an interview. "I think it also shows that I've got a lot of guts."

But the desired effect may be backfiring. The BGLTSA chose not to endorse Quillen, and he has not been officially backed by any other student groups.

"I wasn't sure if he was really serious about the campaign," Deblosi says.

The Cabot House junior says his campaign is focused on increasing resources for student groups and putting more responsibility on the shoulders of council representatives.

The cornerstone of his platform is a plan for an "Inter-Group council," made up of the officers of campus student groups, which would function as an auxiliary to the council.

"The groups could cooperate with each other, share resources and ideas," Quillen says.

He says the Inter-Group council would also act as "an official channel of command with the U.C. [Student groups] will be able to influence U.C. policy."

Quillen also cites problems with House representatives. While he believes randomization has made it more difficult for them to do their jobs, representatives need to work harder at being a voice for their constituents.

"It's stated in the bylaws that they have to have office hours every week and publicize them, and that doesn't happen at all," he says.

"I have the feeling that the reps go to themeetings and just put out their own opinionswithout consulting their constituencies... I wouldput pressure on the House reps to do so."

Quillen says the council's level of activism isalso something that should be dictated by thestudent body.

"If the students want to speak out on apolitical issue, they should. If the students wantmore campus issues [addressed], the U.C. should dothat. I think the U.C. can do both [studentservices and activism]," he says.

Quillen is one of four presidential candidateswithout a vice presidential running mate. He sayshe chose to run independently in order to bringdifferent perspectives and ideas to the counciladministration.

"I thought it would be better if the vicepresident wasn't just a rubber stamp to thepresident...the VP should act as a check," hesays.

Although he faces more seasoned opponents,Quillen says he thinks his chances for victory are"decent."

"I think a lot of the opponents are promisingstuff they know they can't deliver," he says. "Alot of them are talking about major academicreforms. I don't know the last time the U.C. got aminor academic reform passed, much less a majorone."

Quillen says he hopes that his unique style ofcampaigning will raise voter turnout and will "getstudents interested in what the U.C. is doingagain."

Quillen says he will continue his "scream"theme and will wear his costume to the candidates'debate, scheduled to be held at the Institute ofPolitics Wednesday.

"I do think people are taking me seriously," hesays