Squash Teams Cruise

By David A. Roddenberry, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Harvard men and women's squash teams traveled to Cornell this past weekend and left victorious. The Crimson looked impressive in what amounted to a tune-up meet. The men's team won 9-0, while the women won 8-1. HARVARD  9 CORNELL  0 HARVARD  8 CORNELL  1

Winless Cornell (men: 0-4, 0-3 Ivy; women: 0-3, 0-3) posed little threat for the dominating Harvard teams. The Crimson (men 4-0, 2-0; women: 3-0, 2-0) took the game seriously because it was an Ivy League match.

"Although Cornell is an inexperienced team, we played hard and wanted to make a statement to the Ivy League," said men's co-captain Tim Wyant.

Both the men and women played all nine of their varsity members. There were also six junior varsity matches as part of the meet.

The Harvard men dominated the meet. No individual player lost a match as the Crimson went 15-0.

"Everyone played strong in this powerful performance," Wyant said.

Only one Harvard woman lost a match in their 14-1 route.

"We could have dismissed the inferior Cornell team, but instead everyone worked hard and played well," said freshman Carlin Wing.

The Crimson prevailed this weekend despite some adverse conditions. Cornell has the same old, traditional hard-ball courts as Hemenway Gym. They are very different from the soft-ball courts in the new Murr Center Most teams play on soft-ball courts because they are used for international competition.

"Their courts were run-down, slow and hard to play on," Wing said. "They could not have been more different then our beautiful soft-ball courts at the Murr Center."

The Crimson did not allow the difference to affect them. In fact, the team viewed it as good practice for later tournaments against more competitive teams.

The Crimson's season is on hiatus for the next two months. Its next match is against Williams in January after reading period. In the interim, the team will still practice daily.

They are motivated by the desire to reclaim sole possession of the National Championship, which the men's team shared with Trinity last season and the women lost to Princeton.

"Saturday's match demonstrates that we are clearly on the right track," Wyant said.