Yale Senior Stabbed to Death Near College Campus

Political science major, volunteer stabbed 17 times within two miles of university

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Yale University senior Suzanne N. Jovin was found dead of multiple stab wounds last Friday evening after a homicide, according to New Haven police.

Police found Jovin, 21, about a mile and a half from campus at about 10 p.m. According to The New York Times, she was stabbed more than 17 times in the head and chest. Police have not said if the stabbing occurred where she was found.

"At this time the motive is not certain and police are continuing to investigate and have leads that are being followed up," said Judith Mongillo, spokesperson for the New Haven Police Department.

According to Yale students, residential college masters, counterparts to Harvard's House masters, notified students of Jovin's death via e-mail messages, though residents of Davenport College, where Jovin was affiliated, by letter.

Davenport was among the colleges to hold meetings over the weekend for students to discuss the death.

Yale University President Richard C. Levin, Yale College Dean Richard H. Brodhead, University Chaplain Frederick J. Streets, University Chief of Police James A. Perrotti and other administrators spoke at the Davenport College meeting.

"[They] talked at length with students and emphasized that the students should not hesitate to call on the university for anything they need," said Yale spokesperson Tom Conroy.

"It was underscored that Yale's strength is its sense of community," he said. "No student should go it alone with his or her grief."

Last night Davenport College held a candle lighting in Jovin's memory. Though the university is planning a memorial service, Conroy said details were not yet available.

College residents said they were stunned by Jovin's death.

One first-year, who did not wish to give her name, said she has been told to exercise caution.

"Freshman advisors--at least my freshman advisor--sent out things like, 'Be careful where you walk and walk with friends,'" she said.

Another first-year, Emma E. Doggett, said that although the Times said the area is considered safe, she is unfamiliar with it.

"Everyone's pretty shocked. Details are sketchy at the moment," Doggett said. "Everyone just wants more information, and until there's more information no one knows how to react except with sadness. We're all kind of in the dark."

Conroy said the university's primary concerns are assisting Jovin's family in any way possible and providing students with ways to cope.

Although Jovin came to Yale from Gottingen, Germany, she was an American citizen. A political science major, she had been active in community service, working as the student leader of Best Buddies at Yale.

Jovin's death marks the second time a Yale student has been killed this decade, according to the Times. In 1991, Christian Prince, a sophomore from Chevy Chase, Md., was found shot to death on campus.