Fried Returns To HLS Faculty

By Nicole A. Lopez, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Justice Charles Fried will return to Harvard in July as a tenured professor of law, ending a three-year leave of absence.

Announcing his resignation from the Supreme Judicial Court (SJC), Fried accepted a tenured professorship at the Harvard Law School (HLS). Fried, now a Distinguished Lecturer at HLS, currently teaches a second-year course on constitutional law.

"I welcome Charles Fried's return to the faculty," said Dean Robert C. Clark, who said he believes Fried's experiences in both the executive and judiciary branches will be beneficial to the classroom. the classroom.

Fried has taught at HLS for several decades andspecializes in constitutional law. He resignedfrom his first professorship in 1987 to serve asU.S. Solicitor General and has served on the SJC,the state's highest court, since 1995.

While Federal Judges Robert Keaton and BenjaminKaplan have also taught at the law school, Friedis the only professor to have served on the SJC.Former Harvard Vice President and General CounselMargaret A. Marshall now sits on the SJC as well.

"I am leaving the Supreme Judicial Court withreal regret, and only because after muchreflection I have concluded that I can make mybest contribution as a full-time teacher andscholar," Fried said in his farewell statement.

The Boston Globe reported that Fried, who oncehad heart surgery, accepted a move toward theteaching profession due to his health.

HLS spokesperson Mike Chmura said due to healthreasons, Fried did not ask to return to afull-time post.

Fellow justices voiced their regrets at Fried'sdeparture. Supreme Judicial Court Chief JusticeHerbert P. Wilkins said he and the court will"miss the erudition, collegiality, and good willof Justice Fried.