U.C. Candidates Present Similar Platforms in '98

Council officials predict low voter turnout

By Rachel P. Kovner, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

When students log in to vote in this year's Undergraduate Council elections, which began this morning at 12 a.m., they will be picking their president and vice president, but they may have less choice on the issues.

Council officials say they expect low voter turnout in the elections because most candidates share an essential philosophy and differ primarily in priorities and personalities.

"These elections seem much quieter and more subdued than previous elections," says Michael A. O'Mary '99, a former vice-presidential candidate. "There's no clear line drawn between the candidates."

The college's three previous popular elections for council president and vice president were dominated by a debate over the organization's function. Some candidates believed undergraduate student government should focus on student services while others advocated a focus on national and international political issues.

But candidates this year seem to be racing for a middle ground.

In their platforms, council members harp on similar issues like advising reform, more money for student groups and faculty diversity. Even the most progressive of candidates ground their agenda in these tangible student concerns.

In part, council members say, this is because the candidates have accepted the basic philosophy that the council ought to focus on student needs.

"All the candidates have come to accept, to varying degrees, the basic message Beth [A. Stewart '00] brought to the council," says Eric M. Nelson '99, a four-year council member.

But candidates also say Stewart's administration focused too much on superficial demands, like getting frozen yogurt in Annenberg Hall, and too little on more substantial issues like advising reform.

Even Stewart, who endorsed presidential hopeful Noah Z. Seton '00 and his running mate, Kamil E. Redmond '00, agrees her administration has tried too hard to avoid controversy.

"The lesson of my administration was that we too narrowly defined student services," she says. "Everyone is saying we need to have a little more activismthough they agree that student services should atleast be the focus."

Winners and Losers

Low voter interest makes this year's outcomehard to predict, council members say.

"The election could very well go a number ofways," Nelson says, "Apathy is such that it's justgoing to be a question of who's able to mobilizethe greatest number of voters to actually vote inthe election."

People will vote on the basis of "who theirfriends are," O'Mary says.

"I don't think there has been much of a debateon the issues themselves," he says. "It's more ofa poster war."

O'Mary predicts that current council memberswill win both top positions. He says T.Christopher King '01, John A. Burton '01 and Setonhave particularly good shots at the presidency,with their running mates Fentrice D. Driskell '01,Scott A. Resnick '01 and Redmond best poised towin the vice-presidential post.

Other council members say better access toresources makes it easier for current councilmembers to win.

"It's much harder to win from off council,because a lot of the core support staff ofcampaigns tends to come from on council," Stewartsays. "I personally think council members will winthis year's elections."

Although a consensus on the council's purposeseems to be emerging, candidates often disagreeover the council's size and shape.

"There's a lot more talk of structural reform,especially from candidates outside the council,"Stewart says.

Eduardo J. Dominguez '01 advocatesrestructuring the council to includerepresentatives of extracurricular organizations,House committees and concentrations. Burton andResnick advocate reducing the number of councilmembers "to cut deadweight.

Winners and Losers