Three of Harvard's Own Hope for Olympic Glory

By Elizabeth A. Gudrais, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Three former Harvard students will face the ultimate challenge and the ultimate opportunity for the realization of a dream this month.

James F. Herberich '85, Allison J. "A.J." Mleczko '97-'99, and Sandra L. Whyte '92, each with a distinctive tale of triumph, have at least two things in common. All are former Kirkland House residents, and now they're all Olympians.

She'll Be Back

Unlike Herberich and Whyte, Mleczko's days at Harvard are not over. Mleczko, a history concentrator, has completed three years and plans to return in the fall.

According to Katey B. Stone, head coach of the Harvard women's ice hockey team, Mleczko--a forward on the women's ice hockey team--started playing the sport when she was just four or five years old.

She started out figure skating, then asked her father, who was a hockey coach, for permission to switch to hockey.

Stone, who coached Mleczko during her sophomore and junior years, describes Mleczko as "fun-loving, with a contagious enthusiasm for life, a sturdy role model who is dedicated to the commitments she makes," but who is also "her own worst critic."

Although Mleczko has spent the last two years training for Nagano, Stone notes that she has helped with Harvard's team so much that even first-year team members know her.

"[The Harvard team members] send letters and care packages to Japan," Stone said. "They are so proud of her, and excited for her to return. They really couldn't be happier for her."

Stone added that the thinks Mleczko will complete her degree, then train for the next two years for the 2002 games in Salt Lake City.

Mleczko's family is in Nagano, and could not be reached for comment.

A Seasoned Olympian

Herberich, a former environmental engineering concentrator, is competing in both the two-man and the four-man bobsled events.

Herberich was a standout athlete even in college. He still holds three records in Harvard track: in the 200-meter dash, the 400-meter dash and the 4x400 relay.

This is Herberich's third time in the Olympics. In 1985, his college track coach, Francis J. Haggerty Jr. '68, passed along to him a recruiting letter from the National Bobsled Federation.

He tried sledding, and it took: by 1988, Herberich was racing in the Calgary Olympics.

Herberich's father, Frederick D. Herberich '47, describes his son as one who "loves the outdoors and loves competition."

Herberich currently resides in Winchester and is employed as a hydrologist for ENSR, a Boston environmental engineering firm.

Hockey is in Her Blood

Nagano is the first Olympics experience forWhyte, a forward on the women's hockey team.

Described as "soft-spoken, with a kind heart,and very friend- and family-oriented" by Stone,Whyte was a biological anthropology concentratorat Harvard.

Given her family history, it seemed almostinevitable that Whyte would play hockey. Hergrandparents were "instrumental" in creating theyouth hockey program in their hometown of Saugus,Mass., says her older brother, Timothy E. Whyte.

The brother and sister grew up across thestreet from a lake, and they played hockeytogether as children.

Whyte played both field and ice hockey in herHarvard days and was named ECAC and Ivy LeaguePlayer of the Year.

After graduation, Whyte worked in a Cambridgebiology lab for a year.

Her father, Edward J. Whyte, said Whyte isinterested in pursuing a career in environmentallaw or environmental research, but her trainingschedule made her ineligible for most permanentjobs.

During that year, she also worked as Stone'sassistant coach for the Harvard women's ice hockeyteam.

"Sandra contributed an intensity and work ethicto the team," Stone said.

Timothy Whyte also attested to his sister'sintensity.

Over Christmas, he said, the Olympic team wasgiven a few days off. Sandra, however, was at thegym on Christmas Day.

On another day during her break, Timothyrecalled, "We had a pretty big snowstorm, but ourfather has a four wheel drive vehicle and she madehim take her to the gym."

"She doesn't believe in taking a vacation whenshe's in training," he added.

This is not the first time Whyte has trainedfor the Olympics. She had her eyes on theLillehammer Olympics in 1994, but was disappointedwhen women's ice hockey was not included among theevents.

Even this year, Stone said, Whyte was not 100percent sure she would make it.

"Sandra was not cocky by any means," Stonesaid. "She knew that it was going to come down tothe wire and she was going to put herself in thebest possible position to be selected, but thereis always the outside chance that she would notmake it. She just tried to cover all the baseswith her training."

The women's ice hockey games have alreadybegun. Team USA beat China 5-0, Sweden 7-1,Finland 4-2, Japan 10-0 and Canada 7-4 lastSaturday. The team will again face the Canadianteam--whom Edward Whyte describes as USA's biggestrival--today for the gold medal.

The two-man bobsled event took place lastweekend. Herberich finished seventh overall. Thefour-man event takes place this Friday andSaturday

Hockey is in Her Blood