individual style

PFORZHEIMER: POWER PAD

When Mark A. Price '98 and A. Ryan Leslie '98 first arrived at Harvard, they dedicated themselves to creating a beautiful living environment. Today, their Phorzheimer suite, composed of two spacious bedrooms and a common room, reflects their first-year aspirations. The two have tailored their living space to their needs with a full-size refrigerator, an entertainment system, couches, tables and even a small barbershop in the corner.

The color palette of the room is predominantly black and eggshell white, lending a clean, modern feel. Their full-size vintage GE refrigerator in one corner of the room adds a certain old fashioned charm.

The slick entertainment system with surround sound enhances the audio of TV and VHS programming. Price and Leslie align their remote controls on their cherry end table.

The bedrooms of the two roommates reflect their individual styles. Price explains, "We both have the same general scheme with the king-sized beds and the soft lighting. I'd consider mine to be more cozy and his to have more of a feeling of open space--more minimalist. He likes to have space, the ambiance works for him while he's writing."

As former vice-president of the Undergraduate Council, Price's room speaks to its inhabitant. Price needs a room that can serve the dual purpose of a bedroom and a home office. "I'm usually in my room on the computer a lot," he explains. Form follows function in this abode. "I sit at my desk and the bookshelf is just an arms-length away." An admitted gadget hound, Price has a miniature communications center at his desk. A Motorola mobile phone abuts the Palm Pilot linked to his laptop. Next to the laptop: Price's PC. "I like to keep my files mobile, yet at the same time have the power of a desktop. I can download information between my laptop and palm pilot to have it instantly accessible."

This suite embodies the perfect fusion of academic and domestic space. Price has also paid careful consideration to his well hangings. In describing "Boy in Red Cap," a work by Joseph Holston, Price says, "It is my favorite piece. He looks very pensive, but also scared. It shows how he is going to react to the world and how the world will react to him."