Karuna Extra

Ushering Out Era of '98

By Karun F. Grossman

What do you say at the end of an era?

All good things must come to an end, I suppose. While this weekend does not mark the final games of the women's basketball season, it is the last time this year that my teammates and I will play at home.

The significance of this being the last home weekend of the careers of five seniors is imposing to consider. It marks the last basket that Allison Feaster will ever score in a Harvard hoop, as well as her last block, steal and rebound.

It will be the last time Alison Seanor will rip the ball out of an opponent's hands. The last time Megan Basil's, Sarah Brandt's and my own three-point shots will rain down from the sky propelling the team to its last victories on our home floor.

Hopefully, at the end of the game this class of seniors will receive its last standing ovation for carrying Harvard basketball into Ivy League, and national, history.

What you may not realize is that you are part of this as well, and this weekend is your last chance too. All of the team's pride over our success is shared with you. You are our fans, our supporters and classmates.

This is your Harvard basketball team that has gone on to the NCAA Tournament the last two years and is vying to make it three straight; this is your classmate--Allison Feaster--that will go on to win the national scoring title and possibly even garner All-America honors; this is your team that is giving you one last chance to witness history.

Besides all that I've mentioned thus far, I would say that the most important thing for you about this weekend is that it is the last chance you will ever have to see Harvard women's basketball during the Feaster Era.

Still, some of you may be content to sit at home and read about the games in the newspaper, just as some of you in the next few years may only be mildly amused when sitting back with your remote control only to find Feaster on the tube playing pro ball. But anyone who wants to be able to say, "I saw her play back in the day," should join us on Friday and Saturday in Lavietes Pavilion and see history made one last time.

Beyond the issue of these being the final home games of our careers, there are other reasons to wander across the river this weekend.

A simple consideration is that on Friday we play Princeton, who recently ended our record-long, 32-game Ivy League winning streak that had lasted over two years.

They are a talented team, but this time we are playing at home. All the advantages of playing at home can be summed up by the familiar faces and cheers from the crowd that can be heard on the court.

By coming to the games this weekend you can help send our team over the top and give the seniors a well-earned send off.

But most importantly, when the final buzzer sounds on Saturday night you will know that you have been a part of something special--you will have seen a history-making squad bid farewell to the