Track Teams Shine Against Brown, Cornell

Men, Women Both Top Cornell, Brown at Gordon

By Will Bohlen, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

"The American Success Story" is one of the options offered first-years to fulfill their expository writing requirement. "The Harvard Success Story" might apply to the Harvard men's and Women's track teams as they were in action this past weekend.

On Saturday, Harvard played host to Cornell and Brown in a triangular meet. The result was four wins--two each for the men and women.

The men won 59.5 to 56 over Brown. Cornell lagged behind in third place. This marked the first time in more than two years that Harvard has beaten Brown.

"It came down to the last event of the meet," said junior Joe Ciollo. "The two-mile relay put us over the top."

Ciollo put in a solid performance in the 500 meter run and in the mile relay. He ran his second-best time ever--second only to the school record, which he holds.

Needless to say, Ciollo was "happy with the time [he] ran."

Junior Scott Muoio ran strong and won the 3000 meters with a big kick at the end of the race.

"I was staying with everyone," Muoio said. "In the last 400 meters I went all out. I didn't really look back until the end."

"My time is getting better each week," Muoio said. "It's giving me more confidence for future races."

Sophomore Mike Harte won a close race in the 55 meter hurdles. Freshman Chuck Nwokocha won the 55 meters. In field events, freshman Greg Hart won the 35-pound weight throw and freshman Arthur Fergusson won the triple jump. Junior Ken Hughes, though injured, got a huge victory in the shot put.

Harvard also won the mile relay.

"It was really exciting because this year we are coming together as a team," said Muoio.

The Women's team also came together as a team against Brown and Cornell.

It was a success story because the Crimson lost the same meet by more than 40 points last year.

Freshman Dora Gyorffy continued her domination in the high jump and triple jump, winning both.

"I won them," Gyorffy said, "but I wasn't too happy with the results."

Gyorffy already holds the Harvard records in both events. Senior Sarah Lodewick finished second in the triple jump.

In the 400 meters, freshman Marna Schutte won and senior Allison Goldkamp placed second.

"It was a very good race," Schutte said. "We went out quickly and in the last 50 meters, [Goldkamp] passed a girl from Brown, and we ended up one-two."

Schutte and Goldkamp also finished second and third in the 200 meters.

Senior Jenny Berrien did her part to help the team by winning the 55 meter hurdles and placing second in the 55 meters.

"We had a few key people out with injuries," Berrien said. "Considering that, it went really well."

One of those missing was junior Heather Hanson, one of the top sprinters on the team.

"A lot of PRs [personal Records] were made," Berrien said.

The teams will host the Harvard Select, an individual meet, next weekend. The next team meet is the Princeton-Yale meet on February 14th at Harvard.

There will be no love for the Tigers and Bulldogs on Valentine's Day this