Men's Volleyball Whips Yale

Harvard makes quick work of Elis in preparation for tough weekend

By P. IVONNE Thompson, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

It wasn't an important match.

It wasn't as huge as the Game on November 22, 1997 when hundreds of Harvard students made the trek to New Haven, filling Yale's football stadium with taunting chants of "safety school."

It was actually more of a practice match against a non-league, non-varsity team, but the Harvard men's volleyball team still pulled through with a win against its rival to the south.

Harvard (8-3) breezed past Yale last night, winning in three straight games 15-5, 15-5, 15-11, and leaving the Bulldogs to go home and cry with their football team.

The Crimson came into the match with confidence.

"We didn't see much of a challenge posed in the Yale team," said senior Kalon Morris. "They aren't even a varsity team; it was more like practice."

Senior Evan Beachy, who is ranked 10th in the nation in serving percentage, had three aces in the match. Sophomore Joe Herger led the team with nine kills, while junior Evan Mager, fourth in the nation in hitting percentage, added four kills to his tally.

Junior co-captain A.J. Lewis had seven digs in the last two games.

"We have never lost to them before, and even though it wasn't a significant game, there's always the pride issue when you're playing Yale," Lewis said.

There were hardly 30 people scattered among the bleachers of the gym last night, a sign of the lack of support that the Harvard volleyball team receives from its peers.

"We've played really well in the last five games," said Morris. "We don't play worse when there's no one in the bleachers, but it would be nice to have a crowd to pump us up.

"People at this school read The Crimson. They know when we play," Lewis added, "but they don't show up. We were the only event scheduled last night, and they couldn't take an hour to come support our streak."

Harvard's real rivalry comes this weekend against Princeton in a league match. The team is preparing mentally and physically for its biggest match of the season.

"We didn't even play to our potential tonight," Lewis said. "This weekend we really need to focus on good serving and a strong defense around a good block."

If the Crimson beats the Tigers on Saturday, and then Vassar on Sunday, it will have a good standing in the EIVA, and the possibility of good NCAA play-off standing.

The players hope that a strong showing--along with helping their rank--might help earn them the respect and support their performance seems to warrant.