Student Testifies in Clinton Inquiry

By Nicholas A. Nash, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Kirkland House resident J. Caroline Self '99 testified before a grand jury in Washington, D.C., yesterday, in the latest round of investigations into President Clinton's alleged sexual piccadilloes.

Self worked as an intern in the office of President Clinton's personal secretary, Betty Currie, from June 1996 to December 1996. During that time, she allegedly signed for most of the packages former White House intern Monica S. Lewinsky mailed to the executive mansion after she began working at the Pentagon.

"I know of no improper relationship between the president and Monica Lewinsky or any other White House intern," Self said yesterday at an ad hoc press conference outside the U.S. Court House.

Self did not comment to the national press about her testimony to the grand jury.

She also declined to discuss allegations that she signed for packages. Her father, Hank Self, who is her lawyer, said that she "signed for a lot of packages [in general]."

Deborah E. Gershman, press spokesperson for Special Prosecutor Kenneth W. Starr, would not discuss Self's testimony with The Crimson.

Starr told CNN yesterday that he plans to pursue an aggressive investigation.

"We are trying to get to the truth of what would be, if proven, serious charges," he told CNN.

On NBC's Today Show, James Carville, a senior adviser to President Clinton, said Lewinsky visited the White House 36 times between April 1996 and December 1997.

Although Self worked at the White House during the latter half of Lewinsky's alleged visits, she told reporters that Lewinsky "didn't know" her.

Self also vindicated the much-balleyhooed White House intern program at

Self also vindicated the much-ballyhooed WhiteHouse intern program at yesterday's pressconference.

"I continue to have the utmost respect for thePresident, his staff and his agenda," she said.

Self's family said they were proud of her.

"I can't think of anything more exciting thanmy granddaughter being on the world news," saidSelf's grandmother, Shirley W. Self